What kind of fish or CUC to clean sand?

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Question- what kind of Fish/CUC would work best to turn over the sand and keep the top layer “clean”? Right now nothing is really turning it over so the top layer looks kinda brown. I have a pencil urchin, several Mexican turbo snails, a few hermit crabs, and a snail that I’m not sure what kind it is but it buries itself in the sand and only comes out when I’m feeding. Only other livestock other than CUC are two Ocellaris Clownfish. Tank is a Red Sea Max E 170. It’s been setup over a year now. I did add copepods a few times but I don’t seem to be able to establish a population

IMG_7841.jpeg

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Question- what kind of Fish/CUC would work best to turn over the sand and keep the top layer “clean”? Right now nothing is really turning it over so the top layer looks kinda brown. I have a pencil urchin, several Mexican turbo snails, a few hermit crabs, and a snail that I’m not sure what kind it is but it buries itself in the sand and only comes out when I’m feeding. Only other livestock other than CUC are two Ocellaris Clownfish. Tank is a Red Sea Max E 170. It’s been setup over a year now. I did add copepods a few times but I don’t seem to be able to establish a population

IMG_7841.jpeg
I got a Diamond Watchmen Goby a few months back and my sanded has not been cleaner. 3 days in and crystal white on top. One drawback is it will spit sand on corals setting int he substrate but it you elevate them slightly you should be good. Good luck

matt_work27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My conch does a really good of keeping the top of the sandbed clean

OP
OP
~MD~Reefs~

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond goby and/or nassarius snails.
I got a Diamond Watchmen Goby a few months back and my sanded has not been cleaner. 3 days in and crystal white on top. One drawback is it will spit sand on corals setting int he substrate but it you elevate them slightly you should be good. Good luck
Looks like a Diamond Goby will do. Will he do ok in this tank size? Are they like Mandarin Gobies that need a copepod population or will they do ok on the frozen food I feed my clowns?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

IMG_7841.jpeg

Strombus Snails (Conches) do a good job keeping the sand clean of algae and turned over.

Kevinmj70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Diamond Goby will do. Will he do ok in this tank size? Are they like Mandarin Gobies that need a copepod population or will they do ok on the frozen food I feed my clowns?
The Diamond Watchman Goby will eat detritus and what ever is in the sand. Not nearly as “fragile” as a Mandarin.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 conchs, four nassarius snails and a diamond watchman goby and my sand is always white and clean. I’ve never vacuumed it in over two and a half years.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond goby and/or nassarius snails.
Yep...my Diamond Goby is the best sand cleaner ever! I don't even stir my sand bed anymore when doing cleaning or water changes, he takes care of it for me. I also have like 5 Nassarius Snails... 40GB Saltwater.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys,

IMG_7841.jpeg
Strawberry conchs do an exceptional job

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the snail you have that buries itself and comes out while feeding is a nassarius snail. Which is great for keeping sand clean.

As some have mentioned, nassarius snails, conchs, sand sifting starfish, and tiger tail sea cucumbers are some good options.

Never had a tiger tail cucumber but I've read they typically stay on the sand and feed off it. As opposed to other sea cucumbers that tend to climb the glass/rocks.

The goby might not be a bad choice either if you don't mind sand flying all over the water column

OP
OP
~MD~Reefs~

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the snail you have that buries itself and comes out while feeding is a nassarius snail. Which is great for keeping sand clean.

As some have mentioned, nassarius snails, conchs, sand sifting starfish, and tiger tail sea cucumbers are some good options.

Never had a tiger tail cucumber but I've read they typically stay on the sand and feed off it. As opposed to other sea cucumbers that tend to climb the glass/rocks.

The goby might not be a bad choice either if you don't mind sand flying all over the water column
I just looked up a picture and it’s the same snail! I think he has a hard time keeping up because he’s the only one in the tank

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 17.5%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 48 42.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 25 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back