What kind of hose to go from basement to 1st floor for filling?

avocadoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Reef Octo T90 tank incoming. Right now, I'm working on building a saltwater mixing station. I've got it mostly put together, with a pair of 32 gal Brute bins and a Jebao pump. I'm going to include a tee on the pump outlet side to attach to a ball valve, with the idea of attaching a hose there to pump from the basement right to the tank.

The hose would just be carried up the basement stairs to the tank when used. Probably about a 50' run, and I'd coil it back up by the mixing station when not in use.

I see recommendations for using either an RV drinking water hose or reinforced vinyl tubing. Is there any reason to expect one to work better than the other in this instance?

I'll control the pump with a smart wifi outlet, but bonus points if there's a valve I can use on the far end to shut off the flow as well.

[Pic is of current setup; I will be cutting off the top portion of the return pipe to add a hose tee and plumb the pipe straight into the salt bin using a Uniseal]

PXL_20240214_200145232.MP.jpg

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pushing water that far is going be a struggle. Look into a sump pump from Lowes or Home Depot

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can probably do it with a Sicce SDC 9. my run is probably 30 foot with a 12 foot rise and its got about from 25 to 40% in reserve for my needs as a return pump on a 115g display (my LPS hates flow though).

I would seriously consider setting up a sump next to your brutes. Use a rubbermaid horse trough, I use a 150g one. you can use one of your brutes as a large ATO (I do) and the other for salt water. You can easily do water changes from there and your ATO will last a couple of weeks. You'll double your water volume which in my experience is extremely valuable. You can put your heaters, skimmer, roller mat, what have you all down there too, as well as a refuge area or chaeto reactor. It will be quieter as well. You can use 1inch flexible PVC (spa tubing) for your drains and return, and you can actually pretty well snake it above finished and hung ceilings. I only had to cut one acress panel in the dry wall right under the holes I drilled for the tank, from there I was able to pick up the lines and run them along the ceiling to the trough. The access point was cut to fit a typical vent cover and it looks just like another air vent.

OP
OP
A

avocadoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut the 3/4" pvc hose to about 50 feet. Flow rate is 3 gpm going up one floor.

Attachments

• PXL_20240216_211916417.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240216_211916417.MP.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 32

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back