What kind of sea star is this? Is it reef/fish safe?

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hi everyone, I found this little guy on one of my corals. I didn’t intentionally add it to my tank, so it must be a hitch hiker. I assume it’s a brittle or serpent sea star. I want to make sure this little sea star is completely coral, invert, and fish safe before adding it back into my reef tank. I’ve heard there are some aggressive brittle sea stars that will eat small fish (once the star is big enough). Anyone know? If it’s not safe, I’ll put it in my sump. Thanks!
IMG_7411.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does appear to be a brittle, Im just thrown off by the coloring of the disk and legs. Usually bittles spikes are way smaller. Is the guy moving okay? He looks like a banded serpent star but the legs on those dont look like that. The only ones Ive heard are not the best with corals and fish are the brittle green, which is not this guy! I might put him in the sump for now to see what others say just cause like i was saying the coloring is really off. Cant tell if its just sick or what

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, wrasses will eat it? No wrasses in this tank right now, which is probably why it’s survived.
Oh if its small it might be a microbrittle star which is why the coloring was throwing me off. Reef safe! They are known to reproduce quite a bit if this is what it is vs the regular sized! Great clean up crew. I have a serpent star in my tank and he is very fun to watch

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Oh if it’s small it might be a microbrittle star which is why the coloring was throwing me off. Reef safe! They are known to reproduce quite a bit if this is what it is vs the regular sized! Great clean up crew. I have a serpent star in my tank and he is very fun to watch
I also was thrown off by the colors, which is why I posted him here. I didn’t see any brittles/serpents with this coloration online. I was also thinking it might be a micro star, since I haven’t added any new corals, fish, inverts, or live rock in like 4 months that could’ve brought in any hitchhikers. I would think if it was a regular serpent/brittle star, it would’ve grown larger in a span of 4 months. I’ll put him back in the tank. Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I also was thrown off by the colors, which is why I posted him here. I didn’t see any brittles/serpents with this coloration online. I was also thinking it might be a micro star, since I haven’t added any new corals, fish, inverts, or live rock in like 4 months that could’ve brought in any hitchhikers. I would think if it was a regular serpent/brittle star, it would’ve grown larger in a span of 4 months. I’ll put him back in the tank. Thanks for your help.
Just googled micro brittle stars. 1 inch is their max size, so makes sense, since he’s 1 inch. Just can’t find any that look like him. They all look darker and more stripey. Happy to have him though. Glad he’s reef/fish safe! :)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just googled micro brittle stars. 1 inch is their max size, so makes sense, since he’s 1 inch. Just can’t find any that look like him. They all look darker and more stripey. Happy to have him though. Glad he’s reef/fish safe! :)
Yay! I love these little guys, they are awesome! Just make sure he gets food, my fish steal food from my star all the time and I have to target feed him! Rude fish haha

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yay! I love these little guys, they are awesome! Just make sure he gets food, my fish steal food from my star all the time and I have to target feed him! Rude fish haha
Yeah, definitely. I’ve had two normal sized stars for quite a while now that are doing well. One sand sifting star and one orange/red tile star. Love starfish. Very entertaining to watch.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, definitely. I’ve had two normal sized stars for quite a while now that are doing well. One sand sifting star and one orange/red tile star. Love starfish. Very entertaining to watch.
Yes they are! I have a serpent and a chocolate chip. Ive always wanted a sand sifting one and either the blue star or the one you have! Beautiful

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yes they are! I have a serpent and a chocolate chip. Ive always wanted a sand sifting one and either the blue star or the one you have! Beautiful
Yeah, I really want a blue star, but they’re suppose to be difficult, so I’ve been waiting to get one. Maybe I’ll try one soon, since my other two are doing well. What kind of serpent do you have? I’ve wanted to get a serpent, but I’ve been fearful since I’ve read some can eat small fish. I want to make sure I get the right one. I’m assuming you have the chocolate chip in your sump or a FOWLR? They’re very cool.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I really want a blue star, but they’re suppose to be difficult, so I’ve been waiting to get one. Maybe I’ll try one soon, since my other two are doing well. What kind of serpent do you have? I’ve wanted to get a serpent, but I’ve been fearful since I’ve read some can eat small fish. I want to make sure I get the right one. I’m assuming you have the chocolate chip in your sump or a FOWLR? They’re very cool.
Mine is a banded serpent star! Brown and black striped. Not sure if I have a picture Ill look. And no my chocolate chip is in a reef tank, only has a few zoas right now. Needed some clean up crew my trigger wouldnt eat. Plan on rehoming if I do decide to turn the tank into a reef tank, not sure if I will yet. This is the tank I just had an electrical issue and it killed every thing! I saved the star and a few hermits. The star already at a tiny leather coral in the reef tank as I had no where else to put him. But he is pretty cool so maybe ill keep the tank FLOWR

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Mine is a banded serpent star! Brown and black striped. Not sure if I have a picture Ill look. And no my chocolate chip is in a reef tank, only has a few zoas right now. Needed some clean up crew my trigger wouldnt eat. Plan on rehoming if I do decide to turn the tank into a reef tank, not sure if I will yet. This is the tank I just had an electrical issue and it killed every thing! I saved the star and a few hermits. The star already at a tiny leather coral in the reef tank as I had no where else to put him. But he is pretty cool so maybe ill keep the tank FLOWR
I’m sorry to hear about your losses. That’s so tough. I’ve experienced a lot of losses too. It’s a tough hobby. I wish you the best with your tank!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have a picture of mine but it looks like this!

Attachments

• IMG_2032.png
    IMG_2032.png
    530.8 KB · Views: 28

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry to hear about your losses. That’s so tough. I’ve experienced a lot of losses too. It’s a tough hobby. I wish you the best with your tank!
Thank you, you as well!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back