what kind of starfish is this

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by a worker at petco that this is a chocolate chip starfish. I'm new to this ( 6 months) so I took her word, now I know a bit more and I'm almost certain this isn't a choc chip starfish. Does anyone know what kind of starfish this is? He/she is a weird little guy, it disappears into the rocks for weeks at a time. It hasn't gotten any bigger than when I first got it months ago.

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 7.03.11 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 7.02.58 AM.png

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to tell from the pictures, but it looks like an asterina starfish. Common hitchhikers, part of the clean-up crew. People will claim they eat coral but many more people have kept them with corals and never had a problem

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterina star, it won't get bigger but is likely to multiply. Asterinas spend all day eating algae, so I like them. I don't have any zoas however...

My population has taken a hit recently, the hermit is looking plump so he is the likely culprit..

OP
OP
iamahab

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a blue asterina star. Imo unwanted pest. I've seen them eat Zoa's directly from the frag discs.

Did Petco Sell you this as a CC star?
Yes they said it was a chocolate chip starfish. I've caught him on my zoa frags before so I moved him to my fowlr tank that I recently started putting zoas in. What should I do?

OP
OP
iamahab

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asterina star, it won't get bigger but is likely to multiply. Asterinas spend all day eating algae, so I like them. I don't have any zoas however...

My population has taken a hit recently, the hermit is looking plump so he is the likely culprit..
I have my frags on a rack so my hermits can not crawl all over them but the starfish can get to them

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to tell from the pictures, but it looks like an asterina starfish. Common hitchhikers, part of the clean-up crew. People will claim they eat coral but many more people have kept them with corals and never had a problem
And some people have actually seen them empty a plug of expensive zoas.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they said it was a chocolate chip starfish. I've caught him on my zoa frags before so I moved him to my fowlr tank that I recently started putting zoas in. What should I do?
That's Rediculous. Not a cc star at All (which are definitely not red safe either)

Throw it in the sump if you want to keep it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow we all get pests in our tank but rarely do we pay for them. If I were you and was planning on keeping zoas I would either move it to the sump or take it out completely. On the positive side it's much less likely to eat your corals than the chocolate chip starfish you thought you were getting.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And some people have actually seen them empty a plug of expensive zoas.
There are many different asterina, saying that they're all bad because of some anecdotal evidence is pretty silly. Especially when most asterina are perfectly fine to have as part of your CUC

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many different asterina, saying that they're all bad because of some anecdotal evidence is pretty silly. Especially when most asterina are perfectly fine to have as part of your CUC
As with many pests in reef tanks there are mixed opinions. I've always avoided getting asterina in my tank because I have a decent amount of zoas but I know other reefers who like them. I know one person who never had an issue with them until they ate one specific type of zoa, he said that they never bothered anything else.

So if the OP is wanting to keep the starfish and have zoas in the tank they may be fine together, the issue is there is only one way to find out and it may end up making some zoas become starfish food.

OP
OP
iamahab

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I do not have a sump on with my tanks ( waterbox mini 15 and evo 13.5) I do have a hob refugium( if you can call it that) I'm thinking of moving him to. He may survive he may not but it won't have access to my corals.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know one person who never had an issue with them until they ate one specific type of zoa, he said that they never bothered anything else.
This is kind of my point though. We shouldn't be spreading fear over something that a select few people have had an issue with. And do we know what kind of asterina it was? If so, great! Avoid those. But if not, don't turn it into "asterina bad" because more often than not, they're absolutely fine.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are also referred to as aquilonastra stars. I've had them in my tank for about two years. They ate my zoas and they also eat coralline so if that's a priority for you I'd take him out. They also multiply quite rapidly and in my tank became a huge eyesore as I had hundreds climbing up my tank wall. I put a harlequin shrimp in there to eat as many as possible and scooped out as many as I could off my glass. I didn't see them for a while, but they have been multiplying again and are growing in number. Whether you view them as good or bad is up to you. Either way I would get him out asap if you are concerned because once they take a foothold in your system there is no eradicating them.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specifically dark blue/purple asterina have a long documented history of coral munching. Please show me where I said they are all bad. I'll save you the time, because
I didn't. I specified Blue Asterina, which this thread is about given the pictures looking for ID posted by the op.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kind of my point though. We shouldn't be spreading fear over something that a select few people have had an issue with. And do we know what kind of asterina it was? If so, great! Avoid those. But if not, don't turn it into "asterina bad" because more often than not, they're absolutely fine.
It ultimately becomes a risk that every hobbyist has to decide if they're willing to make. I personally have a few zoas that I'm not willing to risk, so I am in the asterina bad group.

OP
OP
iamahab

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are also referred to as aquilonastra stars. I've had them in my tank for about two years. They ate my zoas and they also eat coralline so if that's a priority for you I'd take him out. They also multiply quite rapidly and in my tank became a huge eyesore as I had hundreds climbing up my tank wall. I put a harlequin shrimp in there to eat as many as possible and scooped out as many as I could off my glass. I didn't see them for a while, but they have been multiplying again and are growing in number. Whether you view them as good or bad is up to you. Either way I would get him out asap if you are concerned because once they take a foothold in your system there is no eradicating them.
So far all it does is hide, I rarely see it. I've been thinking it's a astrina but since it hasn't multiplied I wasn't sure. I'm working on coming up with a solution. I will not be losing anything to it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back