SaltyDawgie

SaltyDawgie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, definitely not C. truncatus.

Click on the through the images. There's a French one that looks nearly identical to yours. http://www.fishbase.se/summary/59486

This tang will still be in the 6+" range, same as all the other Ctenochaetus besides Chevron.

Do you think it will be happy spending its life in a 90 gallon tank? I am worried about how big it will get... I was expecting a Bristletooth Tomini. The fish I got is beautiful, and I would love to keep it, but I don't want it to outgrow the tank. I get attached....

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sources: fishbase, John Randall's Surgeonfishes of Hawaii and the World, tell me they all are about the same size, except for Chevron.

So, the same as a tomini.

I think it will be fine. It's cool to have something unique.

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your fish look like this? The tail looks different in your photos.

D2B2804A-222F-47F7-B911-D2C5845E6670.jpeg

I have had this blue lipped for 6 years and it looked more like your photo when I first got it, but much smaller. Mine started out in a 95 gallon and is in my 180 now. I think it would have been fine forever in the 95. It is about the size of a kole tang. Beautiful fish!!!

OP
OP
SaltyDawgie

SaltyDawgie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your fish look like this? The tail looks different in your photos.

D2B2804A-222F-47F7-B911-D2C5845E6670.jpeg

I have had this blue lipped for 6 years and it looked more like your photo when I first got it, but much smaller. Mine started out in a 95 gallon and is in my 180 now. I think it would have been fine forever in the 95. It is about the size of a kole tang. Beautiful fish!!!

Mine looks very much like that, but the tail is not the same. The tail on mine makes a “V” when moving through the water. Mine is also lighter in color... “she”(?) is beautiful. Yours is beautiful too... you got a much better photo. Mine hides from me when she seems my camera. I will got a better picture when she settles in and gets used to the routine.

Superdad4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beer works for me...and it would probably give the fish a break too to go have one. :)

Any fish in LFS or new to tank will be stressed and not showing best colors or markings, right now leaving it alone is probably best really
Don’t forget some vodka for the corals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like maculaceps AKA freckled face tang. They eat like pigs and friendly. Also good algae grazers

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several have said it is likely Ctenochaetus cyanocheilus, and I think that is it. I snapped this photo today.
1.jpg

Yes. I do believe it is the same as mine. Yours looks thin. I would make sure it is eating and maybe offer an extra feeding or two each day to help fatten it up. It will lose the yellow as it matures. Yours is the only other one I have seen on R2R. Good luck with it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Nice looking maculiceps !!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Pretty sure it's a bristletooth tank. Remember to feed it lots of algae and seaweed. It's a herbivore.
It’s going to need a lot more than that as it requires fatty matter and aminos
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
Formula 2 flake and frozen
LRS herbivore diet
Hikari mega veggie
Hikari marine cuisine

selcon vitamins and garlic extract added to foods for immunity health

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it's a bristletooth tank. Remember to feed it lots of algae and seaweed. It's a herbivore.
I'm guessing by now they've either figured out to feed it appropriately or starved it to death...the thread is over 2 years old.

Sorry I couldn't resist pointing out the date.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm guessing by now they've either figured out to feed it appropriately or starved it to death...the thread is over 2 years old.

Sorry I couldn't resist pointing out the date.
I caught that right away especially since I commented back in October 2019 but disagreed on the statement of all they need is seaweed

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught that right away especially since I commented back in October 2019 but disagreed on the statement of all they need is seaweed
My post was meant to be directed toward the person, who I'm guessing didn't realize, they resurrected an old thread.

I noticed you were the last one to post several years ago.

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this Tang from my LFS. I thought they were getting me a Bristletooth Tomini. I am trying to figure out what it is. I am torn between a Squaretail Bristletooth or a Kole Yellow Eye... or something else. The fish's eye is yellow with a dark ring around it, but the picture doesn't show the yellow too well. Can anyone help me identify what I have?
FullSizeRender.jpeg
Could be Ctenochaetus striatus.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 36 27.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 63 48.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back