What kind of torch is this? Or is something else?

OP
OP
GP0801

GP0801

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I looked up a few pictures of dead torches and they do seem to have a similar skeleton, most of them have some protruding septa and I don't think I found any that were completely uniform. The extension however does make me wonder if it's a cristata but I also haven't been able to find a single yellow cristata online. This one's got me stumped.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mind you, I have never seen a malaysia torch skeleton. I seen a lot of these yellow malasia show up though. There is a guy from thailand who has gold cristata, I will try to hunt his build down.

OP
OP
GP0801

GP0801

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind you, I have never seen a malaysia torch skeleton. I seen a lot of these yellow malasia show up though. There is a guy from thailand who has gold cristata, I will try to hunt his build down.

Thanks I appreciate that. I feel like coloration wise it looks more like a gold aussie torch or malaysian gold torch but extension looks like a cristata. If I were to see a cristata with this coloration that would pretty much seal the deal on this debate although I can't seem to find one even remotely yellow. Most are kind of transparent.

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a cristata, which is a short tentacled torch. I could be mistaken, but I think these were classified with hammers and frogspawns into Fimbriaphyllia, with E. glabrescens (the normal torch) being the only species left in Euphyllia (there some confusion about whether Cristata was reclassified, it’s sometimes been called E. paraglabrescens, and the scientific literature on the reclassification isn’t explicitly clear if that’s the same species). Apparently E. glabrescens is more closely related to galaxea than it is to all of the species that used to be in Euphyllia (hammers, frogspawns, etc). They used to be classified based on corallite structure but now, after DNA analysis and studying their breeding habits, E. glabrescens is the only species out all of the previously Euphyllia species that is a hermaphroditic brooder and all of the other formerly Euphyllia species are gonochoric broadcast spawners. Which explains why a lot of reefers have found baby torches growing in their tanks but never any of the other species. Anyway, way more information than you were probably asking for, lol.
Ive actually had a baby hammer coral pop up around 3 feet away from my hammer coral island, slowly putting on size, though I have several hundred heads in a 1200 g system so who knows

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks I appreciate that. I feel like coloration wise it looks more like a gold aussie torch or malaysian gold torch but extension looks like a cristata. If I were to see a cristata with this coloration that would pretty much seal the deal on this debate although I can't seem to find one even remotely yellow. Most are kind of transparent.

These are the cristata i am talking about. Amazing deep colors. If they aren't cristata.... I need to know what they are.

They also have a green mouth.

Also. I did ask him. Another picture is truly looking like a torch.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GP0801

GP0801

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These are the cristata i am talking about. Amazing deep colors. If they aren't cristata.... I need to know what they are.

They also have a green mouth.

Also. I did ask him. Another picture is truly looking like a torch.

Oh man that looks nice but I see what you mean, first picture looks like it could be cristata but that second picture that you asked about definitely looks like a torch.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh man that looks nice but I see what you mean, first picture looks like it could be cristata but that second picture that you asked about definitely looks like a torch.
If it starts extending more, you know its a torch. But, if it keeps growing heads and always remains short, cristata.

OP
OP
GP0801

GP0801

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it starts extending more, you know its a torch. But, if it keeps growing heads and always remains short, cristata.

Yeah thats pretty much the conclusion I've reached as well. Didn't think it'd be so hard to ID it but I learned quite a bit in the process. Thanks for all your help.

Deflated now but lights are out.

20211228_191202.jpg 20211228_191153.jpg

Jfeldman63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats pretty much the conclusion I've reached as well. Didn't think it'd be so hard to ID it but I learned quite a bit in the process. Thanks for all your help.

This is 100% an Aussie torch. Malaysian have skeletons similar to Indo. Tonga might be an option but highly doubt it.

Attachments

• A2B12D96-2FBE-40FE-A5CB-21DD97585087.jpeg
    A2B12D96-2FBE-40FE-A5CB-21DD97585087.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 36

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

With those pics. Not a cristata. I agree with the others on aussie.

OP
OP
GP0801

GP0801

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is 100% an Aussie torch. Malaysian have skeletons similar to Indo. Tonga might be an option but highly doubt it.

Thank you, I'm glad to have a definitive answer. Are those your torches? They're stunning. Is that an NY Knicks at the top?

With those pics. Not a cristata. I agree with the others on aussie.

Awesome, thanks again for all the help. I have to admit I'm glad it's a torch as opposed to a cristata but I liked it either way. Just feel it would look even better if it extends a little more.

Jfeldman63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I'm glad to have a definitive answer. Are those your torches? They're stunning. Is that an NY Knicks at the top?

Awesome, thanks again for all the help. I have to admit I'm glad it's a torch as opposed to a cristata but I liked it either way. Just feel it would look even better if it extends a little more.
Yes those are a couple of my torches and ya the top one lol n the rack is Knicks.

OP
OP
GP0801

GP0801

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes those are a couple of my torches and ya the top one lol n the rack is Knicks.

Those are beautiful. I have a few baby indos that I recently got maybe a month or so ago. Getting a holy grail and a 21 tails tomorrow but the NY Knicks is the one I really want. The seller just doesn't have one that he's able to frag yet but he tells me it should be good to go soon.

Attachments

• 20211229_084706.jpg
    20211229_084706.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 23

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sadly see protruding septa. I have to say cristata.

This one is splitting into 3 heads. I never seen these on torch skeletons, maybe 1 or 2 large septa per head. But never more than that.
septa.jpg
I’m new and just trying to learn but what some things that causes the septa to show. How can one help fix the tissue growth? I have an LPS or two that occasionally show one septa blade thing every now and then

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m new and just trying to learn but what some things that causes the septa to show. How can one help fix the tissue growth? I have an LPS or two that occasionally show one septa blade thing every now and then
I have had more luck with frog/octo/hammers. Torch corals hate my fish, I have a wrasse who spits sand on my coral. Had a foxface that nipped on them. . Nice meaty foods usually help, gentle random flow. Most of the fleshy corals don't need over 125par. 75 is a perfect starting point.

How long have you had them?

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had more luck with frog/octo/hammers. Torch corals hate my fish, I have a wrasse who spits sand on my coral. Had a foxface that nipped on them. . Nice meaty foods usually help, gentle random flow. Most of the fleshy corals don't need over 125par. 75 is a perfect starting point.

How long have you had them?
I am not the one who posted the article I was just interested in your first comment mentioned the septa showing etc. i wanted to know what causes this to happen.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not the one who posted the article I was just interested in your first comment mentioned the septa showing etc. i wanted to know what causes this to happen.
In the OP situation. It had just arrived. Corals deflate to protect themselves. Often times, the tissue will be torn by the septa and we iodine dip to prevent infection.

Tissue recession is a much different story. When a coral begins to recede, death may happen before an answer is found. Usually water quality, water flow, lights, starvation. Other times, pests and illness.

There is no simple answer.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the OP situation. It had just arrived. Corals deflate to protect themselves. Often times, the tissue will be torn by the septa and we iodine dip to prevent infection.

Tissue recession is a much different story. When a coral begins to recede, death may happen before an answer is found. Usually water quality, water flow, lights, starvation. Other times, pests and illness.

There is no simple answer.
Thanks for the info, I was curious cause I have a torch that has been unhappy with me while beating the Dino’s/cyano combo Now that Dino’s are gone cyano starting to clear up some the torch is starting to come out but still very retracted(I noticed a septa showing near where the Dino’s would grow on the skeleton.)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the info, I was curious cause I have a torch that has been unhappy with me while beating the Dino’s/cyano combo Now that Dino’s are gone cyano starting to clear up some the torch is starting to come out but still very retracted(I noticed a septa showing near where the Dino’s would grow on the skeleton.)
I lost my torches due to fish. I am pretty sure of it. They seem to be very delicate creatures.

Once the cyano is dealt with, hopefully the torch will show itself again!

Jfeldman63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Champ/Dino are eating up all your neuts and that is more then likely why you’re having issues. Dose aminos every other day and spot feed once a week keep torch in lower light until it recoups. The color we see is what absorbs light and produces food for coral. With out it the light just causes damage. Put it in some shade low/med flow and dose those aminos and you should see a bounce back.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back