What kind of worm?

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several of these worms attached to the glass and some free floating. Any idea what they are?
760EFF84-7655-43F3-B079-4E0B8BD17B3E.jpeg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fact they are free floating and all over the glass.

Do you have a sand bed? How clean is it? It's odd for spaghetti worms to be out of sand. Unless they are looking for food.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. I suspect no sand bed as normally they encase their bodies in the sand to form tubes and just the tentacles extend outward.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a sand bed. It’s about 2 inches. I siphon it out about every other water change. Not the cleanest though.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
strange they are not embedded, was this after a sand cleaning?

How is the tank otherwise?

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not after a cleaning. My nitrates are high. I am working on reducing those. Otherwise, everything seems happy

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some sort of fringed worm (Cirratulidae )is my closest guess.

OP
OP
mrbacony

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
strange they are not embedded, was this after a sand cleaning?

How is the tank otherwise?
Interesting that you asked if it was after a sand cleaning. I did a water change today and cleaned the sand. There are TONS of these things all in the sand. So I guess what I am seeing has been after a sand cleaning.
I always thought that it was uneaten food in the sand bed. I have been seeing them for quite a while during sand bed cleanings.

Do I need to be worried with the amount I am finding? Should I be getting a natural predator? The curious thing is they look very dead during the sand cleaning, but they just might not be an animated worm.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The pinkish one is a cirratulids which feeds on deposits off the bottom using their their palps and often confused with spaghetti worms which are terrbilladae worms with a tube. Cirratulids are sluggish and either bury themselves below the surface of bottom leaving only their gills and palps visible. Some are free-living as in the one you have and burrow through corals, shell or rocks.
The little ones all over the glass and free swimming are epitokes

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that you asked if it was after a sand cleaning. I did a water change today and cleaned the sand. There are TONS of these things all in the sand. So I guess what I am seeing has been after a sand cleaning.
I always thought that it was uneaten food in the sand bed. I have been seeing them for quite a while during sand bed cleanings.

Do I need to be worried with the amount I am finding? Should I be getting a natural predator? The curious thing is they look very dead during the sand cleaning, but they just might not be an animated worm.
These are hair worms (cirratulid polychaetes). Like bristleworms, their population will increase with overfeeding, etc. You said you have high nitrates, so it's possible that there is extra organic material (food, dead critters, etc) in the system. There's really no harm in having a lot of hair worms (or bristles, for that matter) as they are part of your cuc. Personally, I don't have very many nassarius snails right now (reefcleaners sent me whelks instead and they killed my nassariuses...) and my sandbed has a lot of hair worms that do a similar job (not the same since they don't airate the sandbed, but they keep the surface of the sandbed clean).
I agree that if they are on the glass a lot, they are likely hungry. This is not a bad thing either if you are reducing feeding, etc, to bring down nutrients.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The curious thing is they look very dead during the sand cleaning, but they just might not be an animated worm.
They generally aren't going to move much if disturbed. But after you feed your tank, do you see little brown/red tentacles coming out of the sand and/or rocks? That's them ;)
Here's a large one I pulled from my tank a while back... He started to open back up when I put some food in the container.

PXL_20220317_033403203_exported_0.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 75.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back