What Kinds of Algea is this?

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And its really hard to get rid of film algae.. he will have to dip the whole rock scape on hydrogen peroxide.. its better of just buying more snails watch them do the work. Or dose algaecide which is not really ideal as its not reef safe

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what, you are going to get this on your rock period when dry rock is used. If you remove this, then something worse will take over. Just ride it out. I have done this 3 times. It is absolutely normal. Have patience. No body said keep the nutes high, we just said don't add any thing to the tank.
Right!? I rather have this than the dreaded dinosaur

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok folks this is my Tank two months after the cycle on new tank.

This is the Algea forming on the rocks. Is this normal and should I just wait it out. I had cyno bacteria bloom that went away, but the green stuff is covering all my rocks and does not appear to be getting better.

I have a ton of copods in the tank
Phosphates are 0.20 tho which is high going to add phosguard to see if I can get it to come down.

Any suggestions from you experienced reefers. I assume this is the Ugly phase still correct?

Joe

IMG_9404.jpeg IMG_9403.jpeg
Hard to tell from distance in pic but appears as surface or wire algae with some valonia or if air bubbles may be green turf algae. Film algae is normally powder like without air bubbles. Best cleaning s often scrubbing rock in a container of tank water with a firm toothbrush or stiff brush. Other cleaners would be Pincushion urchin, ninja star snails, chiton snails and fighting conchs. Light reduction may help also
Not sure if you mentioned Phosphate levels but is tank at or near a window?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back