What Kinds of Algea is this?

Joe13374

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks this is my Tank two months after the cycle on new tank.

This is the Algea forming on the rocks. Is this normal and should I just wait it out. I had cyno bacteria bloom that went away, but the green stuff is covering all my rocks and does not appear to be getting better.

I have a ton of copods in the tank
Phosphates are 0.20 tho which is high going to add phosguard to see if I can get it to come down.

Any suggestions from you experienced reefers. I assume this is the Ugly phase still correct?

Joe

IMG_9404.jpeg IMG_9403.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Joe13374

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see what appears to be bubble algae. What's your clean-up crew consisting of?
Thank you for the reply this is what I have so fsr as a clean up crew. I did not want to over do it to early. Its an 80-Gallon tank but only got the 25 gallon clean up crew. They have been pretty lazy lately tho.

Attachments

• IMG_9405.png
    IMG_9405.png
    386.6 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
J

Joe13374

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks similar to my tank I set up 2/20/23 bare bottom and dry rock. Mine isn't even visible under blue lights. Perfectly normal IMO. This was taken using a flashlight
20230802_073808.jpg

EDIT: I have no plans to address it as I consider it a normal phase.
Yes we have the exact same thing!! Does this eventually turn purple color for us as the tank matures.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes we have the exact same thing!! Does this eventually turn purple color for us as the tank matures.

To be honest I'm not sure. This is my first time starting with all dry rock and bottled bacteria so I'm learning as I go on this one lol. Funny thing is I didn't even know it was there because the lights are normally on when I'm looking at the tank and it's not visible under my normal lighting. I came out in the middle of the night once to look things over and thats when I first saw it.

SANDTRAP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the Algea forming on the rocks. Is this normal and should I just wait it out. I had cyno bacteria bloom that went away, but the green stuff is covering all my rocks and does not appear to be getting better.

Phosphates are 0.20 tho which is high going to add phosguard to see if I can get it to come down.

Any suggestions from you experienced reefers. I assume this is the Ugly phase still correct?

Joe

Looks like green cyano to me, and no it will not turn purple it’s actually taking up valuable space.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like green cyano to me, and no it will not turn purple it’s actually taking up valuable space.
This does not blow off and is not at all stringy like the cyano I've seen before. Maybe the green is different than the red?
EDIT: it's also totally invisible under blues
20230731_130700.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Joe

Hard to say what algae this is from the pics. The green color seems to say it is getting plenty on nitrogen (nitrate, ammonia, etc.)

SANDTRAP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being it looks like you have no coral and phosphates are on the high side I wouldn’t see a problem with using chemiclean. I would also be blasting those rocks with as much flow as you can at this point in your build.

SANDTRAP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does not blow off and is not at all stringy like the cyano I've seen before. Maybe the green is different than the red?
EDIT: it's also totally invisible under blues
20230731_130700.jpg
The only time I experienced green cyano was on the only tank I started with dry and it did not blow off easily like the red. I waiting on the chemiclean and it actually got thicker and parts of it started turning black.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I experienced green cyano was on the only tank I started with dry and it did not blow off easily like the red. I waiting on the chemiclean and it actually got thicker and parts of it started turning black.
Thanks. I've used chemiclean before as a last resort. Since I only see this stuff under natural or white light and my frags are starting to take off I'll wait it out and see what happens. The OP doesn't appear to have coral so they have other options.

SANDTRAP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I've used chemiclean before as a last resort. Since I only see this stuff under natural or white light and my frags are starting to take off I'll wait it out and see what happens. The OP doesn't appear to have coral so they have other options.
I was in the same boat with a fairly well stocked tank. Just an fyi I tried outcompeting it with reef actif which made total sense to me but nothing. Once it started turning black and getting close to colonies I bit the bullet and was lucky didn’t loose anything.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is just normal, I’ve seen many posts showing and asking the same thing. Here’s mine at two months. I did nothing and it was gone in a month or two. Caused no harm.
9FD664B9-4F31-4064-967C-B441381F932A.jpeg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do anything it's normal and will change over time. People are way too quick to act, when just letting your tank mature is the best route.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back