What low light corals can survive under an overhang?

staylor1490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a photosynthetic coral that can survive while being mostly shaded under overhangs (I have a shelf rock stack as the main rockwork). In particular, I'm interested in having a GSP carpet but I'm afraid the rock overhangs will prevent them from growing. Should I get a disco mushroom or xenia carpet instead?

OP
OP
S

staylor1490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was afraid this was the answer lol - trying to avoid xenia due to their extreme invasiveness. Will GSP/shrooms not be able to thrive under shading?

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some zoas that are growing under a rock. They filled the top, then filled the bottom.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was afraid this was the answer lol - trying to avoid xenia due to their extreme invasiveness. Will GSP/shrooms not be able to thrive under shading?
Mushrooms probably will do fine -- they will move if they need more light.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some GSP thriving under a ledge, but I suspect it's still getting enough light as it is spreading a bit. Xenias can literally grow in complete darkness in a sump...

All my mushrooms move when they're not happy with lighting, etc. Zoas might work out ok.

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blastomussa will probably manage, the usually prefer lower light levels, but may not grow quickly if fully shaded.

There's also, of course, the NPS tubastrea, which would be ideal if you think you can keep up with feeding it.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe chalices, I read they do better in low light.
Research first though if will be ok underneath a over hang,sure there is threads on them on r2r

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a photosynthetic coral that can survive while being mostly shaded under overhangs (I have a shelf rock stack as the main rockwork). In particular, I'm interested in having a GSP carpet but I'm afraid the rock overhangs will prevent them from growing. Should I get a disco mushroom or xenia carpet instead?
I have trachy's in well shaded areas

homegrowncichlid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chalice, acans, favia, cyphastrea... There's probably enough light bouncing off the glass and reflected, your "over hang" area probably gets some light. You can start any of these in the semi shade, and see which way they grow. They will radiate out in all directions, with preference towards the light of course. It will see the light from the placement point "better" than you can predict and grow towards it. The direction may surprise you. It'll adapt or not grow, either way you'll fine out in a month and can move it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back