What Makes a Scoly a Master Scolymia?

  • Thread starter Thread starter discus513
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

discus513

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 1, 2011
Messages
115
Reaction score
14
Location
Hamilton, Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was surfing the net and I couldn't find the answer to this question, What makes a Scolymia a Master Scolymia? I just picked up a 4 color scoly and was wondering if it could possibly be considered a master or if it is a 4 color bleeding apple. Any help to clarify would be awesome. Thanks!
 
its categorized by the markings it has...masters usually have a dark ring going around it followed by intense color...post some pics and we can tell you
 
Just a heads up this pic was taken as soon as it got in the tank after a Dip so it is a little receded at the moment
 
I think Reefer831 description is what was originally called a master scoly. Now I see it used on any scoly that has more than a couple of colors. I think since that name usually commands a higher price it is getting used a lot more now.
 
I think Reefer831 description is what was originally called a master scoly. Now I see it used on any scoly that has more than a couple of colors. I think since that name usually commands a higher price it is getting used a lot more now.
Go Figure if it commands more money people will definitely use it, I don't plan to sell this so I'm not really that concerned weather or not mine is a MASTER or whatever just thought I would put the question out there as I couldn't believe when I googled it that no one on any of the forums had asked this question. Thanks for the response!
 
I would say yours is a type of bleeding apple. Master scoly has a pattern look to it.
 
Yours would be called a Bleeding Apple...here are a few that I have or had, so you can see some of the different names.

Here is a Master I picked up last month
Master Scoly.jpg


Superman
IMG_8332.jpg



Bleeding Apple
IMG_8604 sharp.jpg


War Scoly
IMG_3263  22.jpg
 
Last edited:
another Master type I had a while ago
IMG_5584xxx.jpg


This one was cool...really bad pic, it was red and gold...really rare
IMG_15842.jpg


Dont know what you would call this but cool orange...this one was bright
IMG_8562-Copy.jpg


IMG_4270.jpg

Here was another that was kind of like a Master
IMG_7528-1.jpg
 
I had a few more but cant find the pics...but as you can see I like scolys lol...I just wish they would stay alive and didn't cost so much.
 
The Key to making it a Master Scoly is that it contains 4 colors within the body from what I understand....and the 4th color will cost you ....usually $400-$800
 
Nice one of my favorite corals. These are what made me want to start a reef tank.
 
that orange one ASD has right now for $1000 is sooo nice.

Lol, I called on that one right away but it was too rich for my blood. I picked up a couple scolys yesterday. I am looking forward I to seeing how they do in my reef once they get here. One is a war paint, the other an ultra I guess. The ultra looks petty nice but not quite master quality
 
What would this one be a master? Or??? I got as a quarter frag and really started to color up.
 

Attachments

  • 1407264133296.jpg
    1407264133296.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 916
What would this one be a master? Or??? I got as a quarter frag and really started to color up.

Not quite symmetrical yet. It looks as though it may be a war paint. But when it grows and becomes more rounded it may look different.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 52 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new