What makes them brown/red?

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of my SPS turn a red-brown color. For example, I have a birds nest that used to be pink with green tips but now it’s a reddish color. I’ve moved it up high and down low and can’t get it to color up. The same has happened to others. Any idea?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to secure those corals in one place so they can acclimate to the spot you put them in. They need clean water (low & balanced nutrients) good light, and stability over time before they can consistently show nice colors.
They need to be well fed (IMO) and unbothered by other tank mates like fish, AEFW, warring sweeper tentacles, crabs, etc if they are going to have good polyp extension and bright colors besides the reddish brown specimens that often occur when corals are moved into a new situation.

Provide a good habitat, leave them alone, and wait. Once they start to grow in place it could still take months before they decide to show their colors. The same coral can show different colors in different systems and in the same system over time. That is all part of the beauty and wonder of this hobby.
GL

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks much! They are all now in their permanent spot based on light/flow needs (info from vendors where purchased).

As of this morning, parameters are:

pH 7.4 (have a hard time keeping it up) (Salifert)
Nitrate 15 (Salifert)
Dkh 8.8 (Hanna)
Mag 1140 Salifert)
Phos 7.4 PPB (Hanna)
Calcium 436 (Hanna)

I dosed Part B and Mag this morning using Seachem products.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a skimmer? A GOOD skimmer with a c02 scrubber on the intake will help you pH.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen a birdsnest change colors much. They can change shades but I have never even seen one turn kind of brown.

Pictures of you corals, close up will be the only thing that will get you any kind of educated answers.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back