What micro algae is this?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the micro algae a while back for my refugium, they told me dragons breathe but I’m not sure. It came with a bit of cheato in as a hitchhiker and quickly out grew the red algae. Which is ok because this stuff is brittle and was ending up all over my DT. When I decided to just stick with the cheato I removed it and placed it in my sons tank thinking what didn’t get eaten by his CUC would eventually die off under his ego 13.5 light. Fast forward a few months and from a little piece it’s grown to about a baseball size. The whole point of the thread is to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Curious on which species of macro this is and also surprised that it would grow under the stock evo light and makes me think that it’s better at growing than I previously thought. 0BC75A90-6DA4-47CF-A42F-D7A51B1232BD.jpeg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a species of flat-bladed Gracilaria, which are decorative macroalgae that aren't particularly fast growers. Gracilaria curtissiae, Gracilaria hayi, and Gracilaria mammillaris are all possibilities and are sometimes misidentified as dragon's breath (Halymenia durvillei).

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halymenia are slippery. Garacilaria Hayi is somewhat brittle with calcium and not very palpable to herbivore fish. Halymenia is palpable to fish.

Like all species of Halymenia, it is gelatinous and smooth in texture and very delicate.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking through the links for marine plants, I’m leaning heavy towards gracilaria hayi. It grows under a variety of light so it’s no surprise that it’s growing under a stock evo light. Thanks you all!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back