Upgraded evo 13.5g Mixed Reef

Personal Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my main tank at the moment. I used to have many other (larger) tanks but now I live in a condo.

Equipment:
Fluval Evo 13.5g
AI Prime 16HD
Tunze 1073.008 water pump
XP Aqua Duetto ATO
Aquatop 100W Titanium Heater
Intank media caddy for intake compartment
Flow randomizer for one of the outtake nozzles
Random powerhead I was given

Media:
Carbon, changed infrequently
Seachem denitrate
MarinePure Gems
Filter floss

I dose sodium bicarbonate and do weekly water changes with Tropic Marin Pro-Reef sea salt and RO/DI water.

Cycled for two months with no light or fish (ammonia additive and Microbacter 7). After cycle, microbacter clean was added to increase biodiversity. Tank is running since November 2021.

Mobile Inhabitants:
Black phantom ocellaris clownfish
Black ocellaris clownfish
1 blue legged hermit crab
1 nassarius snail
3 asteria snails
various hitch-hiking (reef friendly) snails
2 pom-pom crabs
acid rain bubble tip anemones

Sessile Inhabitants:
various macroalgaes
blue sponge
way too much xenia
chalices, acans, and favia of unknown variety
red branching montipora
blue branching montipora
Jedi mind trick montipora
rockflower anemone
various mushrooms
various zoanthids
various depressed coral (I was given these once they were done being researched and had been neglected, not by me, for some time). They're improving!

Despite all the potential hosts the clownfish opted to dig a hole in the sand in a corner of the tank, so I gave them a PVC pipe out of pity.

I also have a 5.5g coral hospital/ overflow tank for more of the dying coral I was given.

Pictures were taken with and without an orange filter. Sorry, I'm way better at microscopy than photography.
Feel free to ask questions.

20221129_091405.jpg 20221129_091531.jpg 20221129_091653.jpg 20221129_091714.jpg 20221129_091718.jpg 20221129_091721.jpg 20221129_091733.jpg

OP
OP
Personal Reef

Personal Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking good! Just wondering why you decided to upgrade the return pump? I'm just starting an evo build and was planning to just use the pump that is included.
Thanks! The included pump is fine if you get a powerhead or have only low flow coral. I ran this tank with just the upgraded pump instead of a powerhead for a few months. Now I have both since I have so many coral and I really need to get the flow in between them. Make sure you point one of the nozzles towards the top for surface agitation though.

Back