What next

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homestly heartbroken whilst writing this. I went away for 2 days and left someone in changes of my tank. Everything was going so well in my tank and it was just starting to get going, but when they fed the fish they forgot to push the lid back and unfortunately I came home to find out one of my baby clowns had died. Now I have 1 lonely baby clown all on his own and I feel really bad, I was wondering if I could get another single clown and whether it has to be a small one or whether I can get a big one or whether I can get one at all.
Thank You alll for all the support

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, so sorry to hear that! Loss of fish is always heart breaking no matter the reason!

Do you have a decent LFS near by? I would take out your one clown fish and bring him in; do a trade off and bring home a lovely couple - or at least a pair! :)

I have had very limited luck introducing a clown fish in to a tank that already has one. Was it the male (small) or the female (big) you lost?

Your location just says United Kingdom. Where about are you?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get another clown. Ideally a smaller one but since it was the bigger one that died, any size is probably fine.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern is why it died. Is the other clown breathing heavily, have any spots or film on it? Any scratching against rocks?
I assumed it was on the floor as he mentions that the lid was left off

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, so sorry to hear that! Loss of fish is always heart breaking no matter the reason!

Do you have a decent LFS near by? I would take out your one clown fish and bring him in; do a trade off and bring home a lovely couple - or at least a pair! :)

I have had very limited luck introducing a clown fish in to a tank that already has one. Was it the male (small) or the female (big) you lost?

Your location just says United Kingdom. Where about are you?
They were both pretty young and small but it was the bigger of the two that I lost and yes I do have an LFS relatively close

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern is why it died. Is the other clown breathing heavily, have any spots or film on it? Any scratching against rocks?
No nothing like that my roof was left with a big gap at the top and it jumped out (other fish looks healthy )

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it was the dominant clown you lost, you can try with another one! :) Chances are that they will get on just fine!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homestly heartbroken whilst writing this. I went away for 2 days and left someone in changes of my tank. Everything was going so well in my tank and it was just starting to get going, but when they fed the fish they forgot to push the lid back and unfortunately I came home to find out one of my baby clowns had died. Now I have 1 lonely baby clown all on his own and I feel really bad, I was wondering if I could get another single clown and whether it has to be a small one or whether I can get a big one or whether I can get one at all.
Thank You alll for all the support
So sorry about your loss!

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it was the dominant clown you lost, you can try with another one! :) Chances are that they will get on just fine!
When you say I can get another one can I get a big big one ? The one I have on his own is about 1 inch and the other was only about 1.5 inch so would I be able to get like a 4inch one or should I get another relatively small one ?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say I can get another one can I get a big big one ? The one I have on his own is about 1 inch and the other was only about 1.5 inch so would I be able to get like a 4inch one or should I get another relatively small one ?
I'd keep them about the same size! :) Wee bit bigger shouldn't matter too much. Chances are they will be of similar age as well; if you get a much bigger one she (!) will be a fair bit older I would assume. Also, aim to get the same type of clown fish!

What would be your motivation for getting a bigger one (like 4 inches)? :) Wow factor? :cool:

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep them about the same size! :) Wee bit bigger shouldn't matter too much. Chances are they will be of similar age as well; if you get a much bigger one she (!) will be a fair bit older I would assume. Also, aim to get the same type of clown fish!

What would be your motivation for getting a bigger one (like 4 inches)? :) Wow factor? :cool:
Yeh I just like the look of bigger ones hence why I was trying to grow these 2 up to be big, but I don’t ovarlly mind too much ? So stick with a similar size one ?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeh I just like the look of bigger ones hence why I was trying to grow these 2 up to be big, but I don’t ovarlly mind too much ? So stick with a similar size one ?
Yup, stick with a similar sized one. Let them grow up together and (hopefully!) pair :)

It's also cheaper you know :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, stick with a similar sized one. Let them grow up together and (hopefully!) pair :)

It's also cheaper you know :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Earlier you said to keep them the same type of clownfish does it matter to much ? As I’m not sure if I have a common clownfish or an occelarus

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier you said to keep them the same type of clownfish does it matter to much ? As I’m not sure if I have a common clownfish or an occelarus
It's merely from the perspective that some species of clown fish are more aggressive than others (like Maroon or Tomato clowns). One way to minimize aggression is to keep two of the same species together! :)

I am sure if your LFS is a decent one, they can help you out with whichever one you have! :)

Where do you buy your fish out of curiosity?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience, returned from vacation and the one beat the other to death’s door. Odd they had been together for 16 months. I bought a larger one and they have paired and enjoy being hosted by my Duncan coral. I think going with a larger or smaller will decrease the whole dominance thing.

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's merely from the perspective that some species of clown fish are more aggressive than others (like Maroon or Tomato clowns). One way to minimize aggression is to keep two of the same species together! :)

I am sure if your LFS is a decent one, they can help you out with whichever one you have! :)

Where do you buy your fish out of curiosity?
It’s called watermarque just a single store

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar experience, returned from vacation and the one beat the other to death’s door. Odd they had been together for 16 months. I bought a larger one and they have paired and enjoy being hosted by my Duncan coral. I think going with a larger or smaller will decrease the whole dominance thing.
How much larger ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back