what phosphate level cause greening acros?

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are suggesting feed more? That is the only method in my book, I don’t know much about adding supplements to dose p04. I would jut feed more if I chose to raise it.

Corey

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been able to get 0 in the Hannah Ultra low... 2 is about as low as I have been, which I don't see as too much different than 3 or 4 since who knows if I got all of the powder in there.

It is very uncommon to have very low P with higher nitrate levels... usually it is the other way around. I would let your eyes be the judge.

I have not read the papers yet, but that is an interesting snipped... only levels of N and P from natural methods delivered results and man-supplemented ones did harm... hmm... don't know what to think about this one yet, but I guess that I get that there could be some other element needed in synergy to get positive results.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ran a Phos and Nit close to 0 for 2 yrs, and had below moderate success at keeping/growing/coloring SPS. After talking with @bubbaque and getting a pack from him, phos has ran from .04-.08 and Nit 25ppm, and colors and growth are flourishing!

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not read the papers yet, but that is an interesting snipped... only levels of N and P from natural methods delivered results and man-supplemented ones did harm... hmm... don't know what to think about this one yet, but I guess that I get that there could be some other element needed in synergy to get positive results.

One of the reasons is that from agriculture and rivers mainly nitrate is introduced to the reef while fish excrete ammonium and particulate phosphate.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please follow the Shantz link and go to page 22:
"One surprising pattern in our analyses was the differential effect of enrichment source on
corals. Natural enrichment via fish excretion always enhanced coral growth (Fig. 2.3). In contrast,
human-derived nutrients, whether from manipulative experiments or anthropogenic pollution,
tended to have negative effects on corals. Differences in nutrient identity, concentration, and
consistency between fish excretion and human-derived nutrients as well physical parameters like
the flow rates around corals may drive these differential effects. For example, fish excretion
delivers primarily ammonium and P (Meyer and Schultz 1985b), while anthropogenic enrichment
tended to deliver more nitrate, which easily leaches from soils relative to phosphorus"

Feeding fish is also my suggestion for several years already.

I may well be completely wrong but, in my opinion, this could be attributed to the fact that once the food has passed through the fish most of it has been converted into easier to absorb forms and a large amount of bacteria. It is quite well documented that SPS readily feed on bacteria.
I think fish waste is the best way to feed corals in a captive environment.

I may be completely wrong though :)

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s about how your tank responds to it's nutrients, I had faster growth and stronger skeleton when my NO3 <1 ppm and PO4 <.030 ppm, I used a specific brand of amino acids and never had a problem with slime algae or other types of algae. Now that my PO4 is in .094 - .114 ppm range, my corals don’t grow as fast. Colors are still great. And the funky algaes started again.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Each tank is different and it depends on how your tank processes the nutrients. I doubt my p04is really zero but I might feed a bit more and bump it back up. I had triton test done not long ago and it was .012 so it’s always been “low” and my ATS didn’t get cleaned for a month and it had huge thick mat of algae on both sides of it.

Corey

EJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PO4 runs .09 - .114 ppm, all my SPS are colored up pretty good. I also run my NO3 @ 1.0 ppm. This coral was brown when I got it. Back then PO4 was .010 ppm

Use amino acids, when my PO4 was low in the beginning, I had to use them to keep my corals alive. Use a very small amount until you figure out what you need.
Aminos turn into nitrate not phosphate, I believe

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back