What public aquariums have you visited?

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many on this list I want to see.

My favorite is Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach CA. Also the only "major" one I've been to.

Been to Sea Life and OdySea in Tempe, AZ, but they are very small.

Would love to go to Georgia, New York and I am sure a ton of others!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miami Seaquarium
Baltimore Aquarium
Tennessee Aquarium
Ripley's Museum, Gatlinburg, TN
Newport Aquarium, Newport, KY
Texas Aquarium in Corpus Christi
Wilmington Beach Aquarium, NC
Houston Aquarium
Georgia Aquarium
Seattle Aquarium
Shedd Aquarium, Chicago
Sea World, Orlando
Key West Aquarium, FL, now closed I think.
The Fish Gallery, Houston - my favorite LPS!
Various smaller Zoo Aquariums: St. Louis, Houston, Cincinnati, Louisville

Nice list! I think you have the lead.

Myk

Aquatic Creations www.ReefDelivery.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far my favorite is the Long Island Aquarium.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really jealous guys! Has any one been to the one in Dubai? I've heard it's pretty awesome! One of the things on my bucket list is to dive the Red Sea and stop in Dubai to see that.

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been to Shedd in Chicago (which is how I ended up with a saltwater tank) This summer we are planning to go to Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta on the way to Florida. Tennessee Aquarium in Chatanooga is also on the way. Is it worth it to stop at both?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
St. Andrews by the sea - New Brunswick - don't really remember this one I went when I was really young touch tanks of local marine life.
Florida Aquarium - recall reading about the first person who had a marine aquarium who had servants stir the water
New England Aquarium - first time I went here was soon after I got into reef keeping, went again year later and still like it, walking around the big aquarium is really cool plus you can go whale watching in the area
Vancouver aquarium - this one is pretty disappointing but some neat native cold water local species
Toronto aquarium - hometown similar to other Ripleys, cool big tanks but reefs nothing special
Smokey Mountains - went here before Toronto was built so enjoyed it more.
Georgia - whale sharks worth the trip, more variety of corals at fish store and possibly my own tanks though.
Chattanooga - seemed better than Georgia less the whale sharks
Shedd Aquarium - pretty good as well but don't recall any must sees other than a really old iguana. When I did the behind the scenes tour they couldn't answer some of my questions.
Quebec City - small aquarium out in the middle of nowhere still nice stuff and some really old hippo tangs razor wire around the polar bears so you can't jump in with them (high up impossible for bears to reach).
Seattle - cool octopus exhibits that are probably long gone had some cool corals.

I think that's all the ones I've been to 11. They were all fun and about half of them I've been to more then once. Most of the fun stuff is the larger creatures too big to keep at home, as far as rare corals or fish LFS eventually get most of the stuff. Non tropical marine life is also cool to see.

Old Glory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NE Aquarium was always my favorite then I went to the Aquarium in Atlanta. The whale shark exhibit is amazing.

NE Aquarium
Mystic
Seattle
Atlanta

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t remember the smaller ones but the ones I do recall:

Baltimore National (MD)
Camden Aquarium (NJ)
Georgia Aquarium (GA)
Waikiki Aquarium (HI)

I’d love to get to Scripps and Shedd

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been to the shedd aquarium in chicago, highly recommend it! I'd like to go back just on my own, last time I was there we had our children so of course they would look at an exhibit for 2 seconds and want to move on right away. I love to just sit and observe for a little bit so if i ever go back itd be just by myself lol! Also Niagra falls Aquarium was pretty good.

The only time I went was to the Shedd. Unfortunately it was a kindergarten or 1st grade field trip. I would love to go back. Just hate how busy Chicago is [emoji23].

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I went was to the Shedd. Unfortunately it was a kindergarten or 1st grade field trip. I would love to go back. Just hate how busy Chicago is [emoji23].
I agree! I come from a smallish town, and even driving down to Milwaukee WI to visit my "local" fish store (60 miles away) makes me nervous because there is 400 times more traffic

Will Milberger

Aggie Aquarist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Houston Zoo
San Antonio Zoo
Sea World San Antonio
Downtown Aquarium, Houston
Austin Aquarium
Ellen Trout Zoo (Lufkin)
Dallas World Aquarium
Cameron Park Zoo (Waco)
Louisville(Ky) Zoo

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree! I come from a smallish town, and even driving down to Milwaukee WI to visit my "local" fish store (60 miles away) makes me nervous because there is 400 times more traffic

Totally agree. Is your “lfs” Aquatics Unlimited by any chance? That is also the closest to me and it 50 miles.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. Is your “lfs” Aquatics Unlimited by any chance? That is also the closest to me and it 50 miles.
Best Fish, but I've heard of aquatic unlimited.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back