What pump speed for my system?

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200 gallons system right now 150G display and 50 sump. With a 150 gallons water volume.

I have the vectra m2 as my return pump, running at 37%. But people are saying thats nothing for a big system like that. I need to increase the pump speed. But the question to what percentage do i need to put the pump speed too?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pump is on at 35%, the pumps job is to push water from the sump to the display tank. I use gyres and powerheads to create flow inside the display tank.

Some people use the return pump to calculate flow inside the tank, I don't. If you've been running the pump at 37% and your happy with it, I don't see why you want to change it.

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question is why do you want to increase the flow through your sump?
Imo, you only need 3-4x your total systems water volume.
I have never needed more flow through my sump in over 30 years.
Because somebody mentioned at 37% of my vectra m2 is no where near 3-4x total of my system.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because somebody mentioned at 37% of my vectra m2 is no where near 3-4x total of my system.
Well the only way to tell gph through your system is to measure it. Its easy to do.
Every system is different with head height and plumbing turns so without measuring it their is really no way to tell.

So again why do you want to increase the flow?
I guess this is what im not understanding.
If you want to increase the flow then just turn up the pump.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would i want a stronger pump if im using 45% of the m2? Doesnt make sense?
I don't think you're getting as much flow as you think. I'm also running @45% (on my SDC 9.0) but actually getting 675-750Gph. If you're happy with your flow then don't worry about it.

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you're getting as much flow as you think. I'm also running @45% (on my SDC 9.0) but actually getting 675-750Gph. If you're happy with your flow then don't worry about it.
The display is 138 gallons and the sump is like 50 gallons the actual water volume of the tank is 140-150 gallons

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200 gallons system right now 150G display and 50 sump. With a 150 gallons water volume.

I have the vectra m2 as my return pump, running at 37%. But people are saying thats nothing for a big system like that. I need to increase the pump speed. But the question to what percentage do i need to put the pump speed too?
I have the vectra M2 on my 80g system. I've been running 45% for 2.5 years now with no issues. You have to account for head pressure too.

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the vectra M2 on my 80g system. I've been running 45% for 2.5 years now with no issues. You have to account for head pressure too.
I cant keep that place here quiet at 45% pump speed, let alone if i put more speed to my pump

Attachments

• IMG_4022.mov
    42.9 MB

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant keep that place here quiet at 45% pump speed, let alone if i put more speed to my pump
You answered your own question. Just keep the pump where its at.
Why do you want to push more water through the sump is the real question?

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You answered your own question. Just keep the pump where its at.
Why do you want to push more water through the sump is the real question?
Because u heard the other posters u need to have the right turn over. And i also had inconsistency in my ovetflow box

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure it. Shoot for 3 to 5 x system volume per hour or 600 to 1000 gph in your case.
I have an inline flowmeter,but before that i measured the time to fill a 5 gallon bucket. If it takes a minute, that is 5g per min x 60min per hour = 300 gper hour.
If it takes 30 seconds, thats 10g per min x 60min per hour = 600 g per hour.
Does not have to be exact, you just want an idea you are in the ballpark.
Good luck.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because u heard the other posters u need to have the right turn over. And i also had inconsistency in my ovetflow box
The right turnover is whatever you want it to be. Their is no fixed number for every system.
Most in the know will run 3-5x volume like said in above post.
Inconsistant oveflow? That would most likely mean you are trying to push to much through your current ovefow system and it needs to be slowed down. Slowing it down will decrease/eliminate the overflow noise also.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it - change it - it doesn't really matter. You asked if the Vectra M2 was too small for your system (it is). You asked if you need more flow (you probably don't have as much as you think, so possibly yes). Do you need more flow or an upgrade? (not necessarily, especially if you're happy and the tank is doing fine)

If you're looking for a definitive consensus on what to do, you're not going to find it.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the pump noise is overflow gurgling, then implement a drain type, herbie etc.
I have 2 drain lines in my overflow, so a herbie was my choice. The gurgling is caused by air and water in tne pipes. We want to get the air out of 1 pipe to create suction, which increses water flow, and silences the gurgling.
Stupid piston went 4 years listening to the gurgling.

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it - change it - it doesn't really matter. You asked if the Vectra M2 was too small for your system (it is). You asked if you need more flow (you probably don't have as much as you think, so possibly yes). Do you need more flow or an upgrade? (not necessarily, especially if you're happy and the tank is doing fine)

If you're looking for a definitive consensus on what to do, you're not going to find it.
Its not about the flow anymore its about that waterflow noises idk how to fix its driving me insane ill pay money to get it out

Attachments

• IMG_4035.mov
    22.3 MB

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not about the flow anymore its about that waterflow noises idk how to fix its driving me insane ill pay money to get it out
Put the partition back in for the section with the first pump and place a similar white sponge in the baffle space. That should solve most if not all of the noise issue.

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the partition back in for the section with the first pump and place a similar white sponge in the baffle space. That should solve most if not all of the noise issue.
It doesnt fir the first partion because the pump space for my UV which is also hard piped.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back