What pump speed for my system?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesnt fir the first partion because the pump space for my UV which is also hard piped.
Well, you could try inserting a rectangle-shaped black sponge between the pump and partition to dampen the sound of the falling water. That or raise the height of the water in the second last chamber. Those are about your only two options.

42185_7b224055-a197-4022-bfd4-cc775e2deda4.jpg

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you
Its not about the flow anymore its about that waterflow noises idk how to fix its driving me insane ill pay money to get it out
Do you mean that waterfall noise from the sump baffle plate ? The only thing I can think of is a water slide from just under the water inlet slots to just under the water level.

Probably happens !

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you

Do you mean that waterfall noise from the sump baffle plate ? The only thing I can think of is a water slide from just under the water inlet slots to just under the water level.

Probably happens !
No the water dropping from the top of tje baffle makint noises watch the video

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you could try inserting a rectangle-shaped black sponge between the pump and partition to dampen the sound of the falling water. That or raise the height of the water in the second last chamber. Those are about your only two options.

42185_7b224055-a197-4022-bfd4-cc775e2deda4.jpg
Omg i had some sponges for my freshwater canister and what a relief my system is soo quiet running at 50% im crying from happiness. Would that clog? Is there anything i can add so it wont clog? My pump is sitting on a sponge as well because i made a mistake i cut the pipe too short so the pump doesnt tohch

Attachments

• IMG_4036.mov
    8.2 MB

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg i had some sponges for my freshwater canister and what a relief my system is soo quiet running at 50% im crying from happiness. Would that clog? Is there anything i can add so it wont clog? My pump is sitting on a sponge as well because i made a mistake i cut the pipe too short so the pump doesnt tohch
Glad I could be of assistance. It shouldn't clog, no (you have the ReefMat). Just like the other white sponge to the right, you'll probably want to remove these and clean every 3-4 months (or as needed) - as they will accumulate stuff over time. I thoroughly rinse mine under hot water, then place in a pail of hot water and some white vinegar (don't need a lot) and let soak overnight. Then I rinse again in hot water, squeeze and let stand dry. It's great to have spare sponges so you can just swap-in clean ones and take your time cleaning the old ones.

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I could be of assistance. It shouldn't clog, no (you have the ReefMat). Just like the other white sponge to the right, you'll probably want to remove these and clean every 3-4 months (or as needed) - as they will accumulate stuff over time. I thoroughly rinse mine under hot water, then place in a pail of hot water and some white vinegar (don't need a lot) and let soak overnight. Then I rinse again in hot water, squeeze and let stand dry. It's great to have spare sponges so you can just swap-in clean ones and take your time cleaning the old ones.
I hate to admit it…. But i was struggling with my overflow inconsistencies. Till i bumped the speed to 70% and now i get decent flow, and consistent water levek at the overflow box. Yes this pump is underpowered for my system. I shouldve got the l2 pump. I really regret it. I wish i can return it

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do i sell the m2 and get the L2?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to admit it…. But i was struggling with my overflow inconsistencies. Till i bumped the speed to 70% and now i get decent flow, and consistent water levek at the overflow box. Yes this pump is underpowered for my system. I shouldve got the l2 pump. I really regret it. I wish i can return it
You're using a M2 for your UV sterilizer as well, no? You can always keep it as a spare/backup and get a new L2 down the road.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No im using an s2 for that
You could try to sell the M2 after upgrading to an L2. You'll probably take a bit of a hit on the M2, which is why I suggested considering keeping it as a spare/backup. Yes, you can probably run the L2 between 40-50% for roughly the same results (obviously there will be a bit of trial and error here).

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try to sell the M2 after upgrading to an L2. You'll probably take a bit of a hit on the M2, which is why I suggested considering keeping it as a spare/backup. Yes, you can probably run the L2 between 40-50% for roughly the same results (obviously there will be a bit of trial and error here).
Im beyond confused why would waterbox have a chart saying the m2 is for my tank and i dont need bigger they set me in the wrong direction and im beyond ticked for that

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im beyond confused why would waterbox have a chart saying the m2 is for my tank and i dont need bigger they set me in the wrong direction and im beyond ticked for that
Take manufacturer's recommendations with a grain of salt. The M2 is working - you're just having to run it faster (and louder). They really don't take sound levels or other considerations into account.

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take manufacturer's recommendations with a grain of salt. The M2 is working - you're just having to run it faster (and louder). They really don't take sound levels or other considerations into account.
I mean at 70% its not bad. I dont know blaxsun. Its hard descion what do you think! What would u do?..

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean at 70% its not bad. I dont know blaxsun. Its hard descion what do you think! What would u do?..
My Sicce SDC is fairly loud, so I couldn't run it @70% (something about the pipe layout and nylon tubing I used that hit just the right harmonics).

There's nothing wrong with running the M2 @70% (probably about the same electricity draw as the L2 @40-50%). If you're fine with the volume level and the ramping up of the speed has solved your other issues - I'd be inclined to leave it.

If/when the pump fails you can always look at a larger L2 at that time.

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Sicce SDC is fairly loud, so I couldn't run it @70% (something about the pipe layout and nylon tubing I used that hit just the right harmonics).

There's nothing wrong with running the M2 @70% (probably about the same electricity draw as the L2 @40-50%). If you're fine with the volume level and the ramping up of the speed has solved your other issues - I'd be inclined to leave it.

If/when the pump fails you can always look at a larger L2 at that time.
Wait. Do i need to calibrate the pump? Somebody mentioned that when im doing calibration for the pump and when it ask me for mas speed and i set the max speed to 70% and then i go to settings and i set it to max speed of 70% that means im not really on 70% im on 50% is that true?!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait. Do i need to calibrate the pump? Somebody mentioned that when im doing calibration for the pump and when it ask me for mas speed and i set the max speed to 70% and then i go to settings and i set it to max speed of 70% that means im not really on 70% im on 50% is that true?!
You just set it to the speed you want (or works).

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just set it to the speed you want (or works).
No somebody explained to me while you are doing the pump calibration. When it asks u for max flow for yoir system if you set it to 75%. And then u clicked next and finish calibration. And then u go to settings, and then u select 70% its not true 70% speed its 50% because u set the max while calibrating to 70%.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No somebody explained to me while you are doing the pump calibration. When it asks u for max flow for yoir system if you set it to 75%. And then u clicked next and finish calibration. And then u go to settings, and then u select 70% its not true 70% speed its 50% because u set the max while calibrating to 70%.
The Vectras are a bit different with respect to setup/calibration, so that's probably correct. You'd probably want to set the max to 90-100%. You may have to play around with a few different setups to find the sweet spot.

On mine I just pick the speed and go. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vectras are a bit different with respect to setup/calibration, so that's probably correct. You'd probably want to set the max to 90-100%. You may have to play around with a few different setups to find the sweet spot.

On mine I just pick the speed and go. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Thats also probably the reason i have issues lol. Im setting on the calibration 67% and then when i go and set it after 70% its not really 70% dang

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back