Is my pump too fast?

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I’m new to reefing and am just in the process of setting up my first tank.

I noticed that my pump is pumping out more water than my tank can replace in the chamber. I have a sicce syncra pro 2200 which is rated for 550 gph. Yes, it’s on the lowest setting and I just don’t want the pump to blow out because it is too strong. Does anyone have anything I could do to increase flow back into the pump chamber?all I need to do is speed up the return into the pump chamber because even if it’s faster than the pump I can just turn up the settings.

I attached a video of my setup so you can see what I’m working with here.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 72280861156__AAA835D8-7F1B-42A9-8D12-AF237DA0249E.MOV
    2.4 MB
OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I’m new to reefing and am just in the process of setting up my first tank.

I noticed that my pump is pumping out more water than my tank can replace in the chamber. I have a sicce syncra pro 2200 which is rated for 550 gph. Yes, it’s on the lowest setting and I just don’t want the pump to blow out because it is too strong. Does anyone have anything I could do to increase flow back into the pump chamber?all I need to do is speed up the return into the pump chamber because even if it’s faster than the pump I can just turn up the settings.

I attached a video of my setup so you can see what I’m working with here.

Thanks!
Forgot to mention but buying a new pump is really out of the budget and isn’t something I can easily do.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video does not work for me.. Do you have a sump? If so, open your gate valve more to allow more water to drain from the display to your sump.

Open the gate valve fully and adjust slowly over a couple of hours to silence your tank.

ColdOceanReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more info would help:
Tank size
Sump size
Drain line 1/2, 3/4 or 1 inch drain. Do you have a valve installed on your drain line?

Last edited:
OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more info would help:
Tank size
Sump size
Drain line 1/2, 3/4 or 1 inch drain. Do you have a valve installed on your drain line?
Sorry I was in a rush when I made all this-

Display is 65g, sump is 18g, total 83g.

I’m not really sure what size my drain line is, I have the Aqueon overflow kit, but if I had to guess probably one inch.

And no, I don’t have a valve.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I was in a rush when I made all this-

Display is 65g, sump is 18g, total 83g.

I’m not really sure what size my drain line is, I have the Aqueon overflow kit, but if I had to guess probably one inch.

And no, I don’t have a valve.
If you have no valve to adjust the flow returning to the sump, then you don't have any other options than to reduce the flow of water. If your pump is already on its lowest setting, you may have to look for a smaller pump.

You did not install a gate valve on the drain going from the display into your sump? You can retrofit one, but if you are already on minimum on your return pump, it won't solve the issue..

Let's see if there's any cheaper suggestions coming in first before you go off and buy a new pump :relieved-face:

OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no valve to adjust the flow returning to the sump, then you don't have any other options than to reduce the flow of water. If your pump is already on its lowest setting, you may have to look for a smaller pump.

You did not install a gate valve on the drain going from the display into your sump? You can retrofit one, but if you are already on minimum on your return pump, it won't solve the issue..

Let's see if there's any cheaper suggestions coming in first before you go off and buy a new pump :relieved-face:
This is what my sump looks like. Where does the valve go?

Also, if an add a valve, it wouldn’t be able to speed up the water, only slow it down, right? How would that help me?

image.jpg

ColdOceanReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few options you can try, but your temporary solution is to add a valve to the return line to restrict the pump (check the image) Use the PVC cutter and cut the (green line) above the water then add the ball valve with a couple hose clamps for security.
Long term (cheaper) solution is to purchase a smaller Jebao/jecod return pump. They are reliable and cheap.

I have small jebao controllable pump you can have for free (if you pay for shipping) but let me test it tonight.

TLF54452-2__82273.jpg

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what my sump looks like. Where does the valve go?

Also, if an add a valve, it wouldn’t be able to speed up the water, only slow it down, right? How would that help me?

image.jpg
You can't speed up the water flowing back into your sump.

The only thing you can do if you want less flow from your return is to purchase a smaller return pump- one you can adjust to the flow you need or restrict the flow with a valve in front of your return pump. A good, cheap Jecod DC return pump will do the trick.

As for the drain valve, it works partly to adjust your down flow and to silence your drain.

ColdOceanReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut it here at the yellow line and add a ball valve to restrict the return output. I also suggest you need to secure the drain line with hose clamp. I am so nervous just by looking at drain line without any security on the line.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-27 150341.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-27 150341.png
    515.6 KB · Views: 27

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do what @ColdOceanReef is saying or change your return pump to a smaller one!

Either way, as a minimum cut the grey drain tube and install a ball valve there!

And do secure them a wee bit better as well please! Your floors will thank you :cool:

OP
OP
j.speaks

j.speaks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few options you can try, but your temporary solution is to add a valve to the return line to restrict the pump (check the image) Use the PVC cutter and cut the (green line) above the water then add the ball valve with a couple hose clamps for security.
Long term (cheaper) solution is to purchase a smaller Jebao/jecod return pump. They are reliable and cheap.

I have small jebao controllable pump you can have for free (if you pay for shipping) but let me test it tonight.

TLF54452-2__82273.jpg
Do you know the specific valves in the picture?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the specific valves in the picture?
Measure your tubing and go on Amazon and order a ball valve in the correct size :) Use a set of calipers, it's not rocket science. Either that or take it off and bring it to your LFS. They can help you out for sure with the bits you need :anguished-face:

There are more brands out there than reefers on R2R ;) Looks like two little fishies..

Last edited:

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to get a little more flow from the drain if you shorten the grey flex hose a bit. Every one of those ridges slows the flow just a bit, and having that U turn at the bottom also creates a little bit of head pressure. I always aim for the shortest, straightest run possible when plumbing any sort of setup that relies on gravity to function.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if its has been mentioned, but if its the pump chamber in your sump that is being starved (meaning not enough water in that chamber while running), then that generally means you just need to add a little more water to the system.

if on the other hand the overflow box chamber in the display tank is emptying, (draining faster than the pump is supplying water to the display tank) , then generally that just means you need to add some sort of ball valve to the drain line as was suggested above, to help adjust the flow to match the output of your pump.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back