What RO/DI unit are you currently using in 2019?

How do you get "filtered" water for your aquarium?

• RO/DI Unit

Votes: 551 87.9%
  • Local Fish Store

Votes: 43 6.9%
  • Friend

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Use Tap Water

Votes: 16 2.6%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 16 2.6%

• Total voters

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey @mfinn do you know how long the wires are on this meter??? Looking to replace mine with a few of these but need longer cables than what I have or the standard ones are..

Screenshot_20190403-193537.jpg

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent 7 years getting my water from the LFS. 2 years ago, I moved, cutting the distance from the same LFS from 8 miles to 2. I told myself “this is supporting my local store, a small business in my neighborhood.” They charge $0.45/gallon for RO. I change 10 gallon at a time, so I was paying $4.50 a week. I got an RODI with my tax return this year, because i can make the same amount (10 gallon) of RODI water for $0.30 worth of water a week (including rejection water, not counting filter costs—we are on septic, don’t pay for sewer, so it’s just watering my backyard).

My wife was FURIOUS this week. She could hear the rejection water going down the drain. “Our water bill is going to go through the roof, isn’t it?!?” I did the numbers for her, and said for $150 I could get a pump, new flush restrictor, and second membrane to reduce the waste water and bring down the cost from $0.30 to $0.18, which would pay for itself in 25 and a half years. She wasn’t impressed but grumbled about finding a catch basin.

I'm constantly shaking my head at the things some women get upset about. Petty, trivial stuff. A couple 10 dollar bills a month on a hobby? Really????

Would she prefer you were at the bar drinking and perhaps flirting with the cocktail waitress or local fluzzy?

You could get a race car. Tens of thousands of dollars every year, to maintain the car, the truck it takes to tow that car to the track, the entry fees, the fuel and hotel costs......

Radio control airplanes? Minimum $5--$7 thousand every year.... if you want to really enjoy that hobby.

Fishing? Hunting?

Many of those hobbies aren't interesting to women, so it separates you two. But a fish tank keeps you HOME, where you can be with your wife and family.

I'm a blessed man. My wife likes fish tanks, fishing poles, guns and hot rods. We're on the hunt for a 1930's --1940's fat fender coupe or pickup for a resto mod project. She wants to learn how to rebuild an engine and use a welder. I've already taught her how to use a torque wrench, change lubricant in the engine, transmission and differentials, and flush the cooling system.

Last edited:

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm constantly shaking my head at the things some women get upset about. Petty, trivial stuff. A couple 10 dollar bills a month on a hobby? Really????

Would she prefer you were at the bar drinking and perhaps flirting with the cocktail waitress or local fluzzy?

You could get a race car. Tens of thousands of dollars every year, to maintain the car, the truck it takes to tow that car to the track, the entry fees, the fuel and hotel costs......

Radio control airplanes? Minimum $5--$7 thousand every year.... if you want to really enjoy that hobby.

Fishing? Hunting?

Many of those hobbies aren't interesting to women, so it separates you two. But a fish tank keeps you HOME, where you can be with your wife and family.

I'm a blessed man. My wife likes fish tanks, fishing poles, guns and hot rods. We're on the hunt for a 1930's --1940's fat fender coupe or pickup for a resto mod project. She wants to learn how to rebuild an engine and use a welder. I've already taught her how to use a torque wrench, change lubricant in the engine, transmission and differentials, and flush the cooling system.

Don't forget golf ! that adds up real quick !!

I must be blessed as well. I was just talking about the same thing with my wife tonight. I was having a bit of a panic attack (I did my taxes). I was feeling guilty over how much I spent on my first tank and supporting accessories. My wife said "You don't smoke or drink or go out. You would spend more than the cost of the tank in a year if you add it up. This tank is relaxing, the whole family is enjoying it and you are home".

(Rcpilot: we also share a hobby I think: I'm not 5k per year for RC but at least 1k. This year I'm going to be flying paper airplanes. )

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just broke down my tank about 10 months ago because I’m moving....I’m just about done moving in so I’m thinking of starting another tank... but I was using the bulk reef supply 3 stage RODI. It worked great for me [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still using the same Spectra Pure RO filter that I bought used around 2008 and it was made it 1997. The membrane housing is showing its age as are the fittings and lines but I have replacements. I added a DI stage several years ago and it has been making 0 tds water for a long time for me. I will be upgrading it from a 4 stage to a 6 stage soon. If it aint broke dont fix it.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very impressed with those pictured ! I use an Oceanus 4 stage I bought early 90's maybe. Don't remember. S long as I keep up on filter changes it gives me zeros on my tds meter . I need some new O rings & the shut off valve was getting real stiff,other than that works just fine .

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Rcpilot: we also share a hobby I think: I'm not 5k per year for RC but at least 1k. This year I'm going to be flying paper airplanes. )
You've got a good wife there.

I used to fly. I sold them all prior to a divorce in 2014. Never got back into it. I was flying big gasoline powered planes. 50cc -- 100cc. Quite expensive for something you control with a radio wave.

Last edited:

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vertex 4 stage great unit comes with booster pump I have added additional membrane, carbon, di & 2 hm dual inline tds meters works awesome
Need all this since our tap is about 275tds
I bought an extra carbon block and canister. We have chloramie so I run the basic chlorine block 1st, then the chloramine block.

darkrabbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a Vertex Puratek Deluxe 100GPD RO/DI system. 4 stage. The reasons I got this one were:

- The amount of wastewater is about as low as you can get, at a 1:1 ratio. I couldn't stand the amount of water wasted with the RO/DI Buddie.
- 100gpd. I've found I don't have a lot of time to wait for water and with this system I can churn out 10gal in a tad over 2 hours.
- This serves a dual function for me, I use it for home brewing beer as well as for the reef aquarium, so it was worth it.

I actually use my homebrew water tank (HLT) for RO/DI storage. I have the output hose sitting right over top of the 15gal HLT, so I just turn it on and leave it to collect for a while. I can also heat the water in the HLT to 80F in about 7 mins as it has a 5500W heater in it. So if I am doing a water change I just dump out 5-6 gallons of 80F water, mix salt, good to go.

-J

Richard Hercher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fishing? Hunting?

To be fair, mine is a woman who gets PTSD at the idea of wasting water and electricity. We’ve had the surprise $300 water bill, the $300 electric bill, the $250 gas bill, never because of the fish, but those surprise utility fees that spike from a normal $50-100 are big wrenches. Once she heard the numbers, she still hates that we are wasting water and is on a mission to find ways for me to use the rejection water around the house.

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, mine is a woman who gets PTSD at the idea of wasting water and electricity. We’ve had the surprise $300 water bill, the $300 electric bill, the $250 gas bill, never because of the fish, but those surprise utility fees that spike from a normal $50-100 are big wrenches. Once she heard the numbers, she still hates that we are wasting water and is on a mission to find ways for me to use the rejection water around the house.

It'll cost money, but you can set up a big plastic drum to store the waste water. Use it to supply the washing machine. I've done it, because my EX-wife was such a snot about the wasted water.

Basic How To:
You'll need a couple double pole latching relays, a solenoid and some float switches. Also need the plumbing and possibly a pump. Some modern washing machines have a pressure sensor on the feed line, so gravity feeding may not work.

Run your waste water into the plastic drum. You will need an open overflow that wastes to a drain if the tank gets full. This is placed up high in the tank and just vents open to a floor drain or you can tee into any nearby drain, like a bathroom sink if it's not too ugly. Vinyl tubing is good for this application because it's easily run along the wall or a baseboard if need be.

You'll need to place 1 float down low to prevent your feed pump from running dry. Set the float to trip a relay that supplies the power to the pump. Low water = float drops = relay cuts the power flow to the pump. That same float should trigger a solenoid valve to open from the main house water supply, as well as trigger a solenoid valve on the outlet side of your pump to close. That way you're not back filling your storage tank when the house line gets opened.

You can automate your RO unit with your RO Storage tank as well.

Here's a very rough diagram to brainstrom from.

EDIT:
Changed lines from RO storage tank to control/logic board.

Diagram.jpg

Last edited:

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS seven-stage RO/DI with automatic shut-off valve, automatic flush kit, and booster pump. It’s hooked to a mobile station because apartment-living doesn’t allow for me to have it stationary. It gets carried up to the sink on the second floor, and back down to the garage when I’m done.

I got the 200 GPD model to future-proof myself when I eventually upgrade from my Waterbox 100.3 to a larger system.

454F566C-7A97-425C-9C3E-A2F66F803B12.jpeg

B0C743EA-5ADA-449C-9FD0-35DEC7D561F0.jpeg

9E65603D-12D6-4601-947F-684B18F2EC78.jpeg

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently using the aquatic life twist in RO unit with dual DI added on. I'm on my last set of filters for it, then I'll be switching to the classic RO unit by Aquatic life. It has built in flush valve, and on/off solenoid to attach to a float valve.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey @mfinn do you know how long the wires are on this meter??? Looking to replace mine with a few of these but need longer cables than what I have or the standard ones are..

Just saw this.

The wires are pretty tangled up, but my best attempt at measuring without disconnecting them, is 36" to 40".

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this.

The wires are pretty tangled up, but my best attempt at measuring without disconnecting them, is 36" to 40".

Awesome! Thank you!!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back