What RO/DI unit are you currently using in 2019?

How do you get "filtered" water for your aquarium?

• RO/DI Unit

Votes: 551 87.9%
  • Local Fish Store

Votes: 43 6.9%
  • Friend

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Use Tap Water

Votes: 16 2.6%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 16 2.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We change out equipment over time for various reasons and the same goes for RO/DI units. With that is mind...

What RO/DI unit are you currently using and why did you choose it?

4stagewithfeatures_1.jpg

From BRS: Aquarium reverse osmosis systems are an economical, convenient way to put consistently pure water into your reef aquarium without running to the store to buy RO or distilled water. Your reef tank will certainly benefit from the installation of RODI systems, carbon blockers, and sediment filters, to name a few. Tap water, even when treated, will still contain traces of impurities, microorganisms, disinfection byproducts, inorganic chemicals, organic chemicals, and radionuclides. Although it is safe for people to ingest, this may not always apply to other species; especially reef tank residents like corals, exotic fish, and other invertebrates. Risks that come with exposing your reef tank's inhabitants to untreated, unfiltered water can be easily prevented by installing the right reef aquarium filtration system.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO buddie with DI and a booster pump.

Getting a true 80gpd 0 TDS.

I will be replacing the stock DI with a refillable though to save money.
I chose it because it was inexpensive and meets my needs. The pump does autoflush and auto shutoff via pressure.

Nimitz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after 5 years in the hobby and using tap plus prime drops i finally picked up a RO/DI unit.

thanks to the city working on the water system recently and dumping a ton of phosphate into the water , my po4 was 200+++ ppm. after a 50% WC I knew it was the source water.

went out and got a spectrapure max 90 gpd, I freaking love it. water from tap is around 70 TDS. but loaded with p04.

Richard Hercher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent 7 years getting my water from the LFS. 2 years ago, I moved, cutting the distance from the same LFS from 8 miles to 2. I told myself “this is supporting my local store, a small business in my neighborhood.” They charge $0.45/gallon for RO. I change 10 gallon at a time, so I was paying $4.50 a week. I got an RODI with my tax return this year, because i can make the same amount (10 gallon) of RODI water for $0.30 worth of water a week (including rejection water, not counting filter costs—we are on septic, don’t pay for sewer, so it’s just watering my backyard).

My wife was FURIOUS this week. She could hear the rejection water going down the drain. “Our water bill is going to go through the roof, isn’t it?!?” I did the numbers for her, and said for $150 I could get a pump, new flush restrictor, and second membrane to reduce the waste water and bring down the cost from $0.30 to $0.18, which would pay for itself in 25 and a half years. She wasn’t impressed but grumbled about finding a catch basin.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Past 12 years I've used the Water General Model RD-106P, AQUARIUM & DRINKING 2 OUTPUTS Reverse Osmosis RO+DI+PUMP

'* This system is a complete RO+DI unit with all standard size 6 stage filters. RD106P has all the features of RD106, plus a built-in booster pump.'

No issues encountered. I just keep up with changing filters, membrane and the color changing DI resin which changes from green to dark brown when the resin is exhausted.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO buddie with DI and a booster pump.

Getting a true 80gpd 0 TDS.

I will be replacing the stock DI with a refillable though to save money.
I chose it because it was inexpensive and meets my needs. The pump does autoflush and auto shutoff via pressure.

This is the one I have.

rq786

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vertex 4 stage great unit comes with booster pump I have added additional membrane, carbon, di & 2 hm dual inline tds meters works awesome
Need all this since our tap is about 275tds

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Past 12 years I've used the Water General Model RD-106P, AQUARIUM & DRINKING 2 OUTPUTS Reverse Osmosis RO+DI+PUMP

'* This system is a complete RO+DI unit with all standard size 6 stage filters. RD106P has all the features of RD106, plus a built-in booster pump.'

No issues encountered. I just keep up with changing filters, membrane and the color changing DI resin which changes from green to dark brown when the resin is exhausted.
I still have my old Water General as well! Only upgraded to the 3 stage DI unit from BRS

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Aquatic Life 4 stage that has the easy twist lock filters. Super small footprint, clean looking, well designed. I will probably add a booster pump sometime since I am not getting the output I expected. Made by the same company that does the RO Buddie, just a little different layout.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back