What salinity do you run?

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m asking because I’m curious. all my LFS here in Houston run between 1.027-1.028. So when I set my tank up I matched what they run. But I’ve seen where some folks stay down around the 1.025 mark. Are there any benefits to either or just a matter of preference? I figured if it’s what my LFS runs on their frag tanks and systems it should be good for mine. Been almost 3 months up and running and a month since I added some corals and they seem to be doing fantastic and growing like crazy. Also I’ve heard a lot about 78 max temp. I live in Houston and with my home ac set at 68 my tank hovers at 79-80 consistently with no heater. I know these numbers seem higher with what is deemed acceptable but the tank is thriving and doing fantastic. Same with the fish. So IDK. Kinda hard for me to make changes and upgrades if it’s doing so well.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most nsw is 1.0267 so nearly 1.027 and parts of red sea are little higher.
Me personally i aim for 1.026 as i see most run at 1.025- 1.026 ,ive only been having my tank nearly 8 months so very new to saltwater and only got few softies and few lps and everything going ok so far.one lfs near me keeps fish at 1.021 and inverts at 1.027 and another lfs everytjing at 1.026.
If everything going ok for you at 1.027- 8 then cant see no reason to change if everything doing ok,more about stability and keeping same i belive but what i read is salinity affects stiff like calcium and magnesium and i think alk but be interested to see what more experienced reefers say.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What he said.

I still run 1.025. There is a post on here under the Battle Corals section where Adam shared his opinions about running higher salt concentrations. Part of me wonders if simply there are more building blocks of just about everything in the water when reefers do that. Meaning reefers are not just increasing the Na and Cl obviously and also running more trace elements as well.

OP
OP
Ramdude4G

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What he said.

I still run 1.025. There is a post on here under the Battle Corals section where Adam shared his opinions about running higher salt concentrations. Part of me wonders if simply there are more building blocks of just about everything in the water when reefers do that. Meaning reefers are not just increasing the Na and Cl obviously and also running more trace elements as well.
Yeah that’s kinda what I was thinking. I know my calcium ranges from 480-580. I don’t have a dkh test yet. Will be getting one soon tho. All I can say is tank seems to be doing good and all inhabitants look great and happy and healthy. I am getting a green algae coverage on my white rocks. Not quite sure what type it is. Good or bad. It’s not hair algae or at least not yet. Lol. I’m thinking more along the lines of green coralline. I am getting purple to start showing up as well. I think mostly more of a maturing tank. But heck what do I know. Lol. This is my first go at Saltwater. Only been up about 3 months. spent 3 years researching before I started the tank. And still so dang much to learn. Haha. Thanks.

3EDDA80C-F4EA-4EC0-AFE2-9721326863D8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Ramdude4G

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run at 1.024 so if I missed out on topping of my tank. I would be in the safe zone. It never went above 1.026
I could see where that would be necessary on a small system. But probably less so, I think, on a larger system. Unless maybe wot missed several days in a row. It by then your return pump would probably be sucking air anyway. I use about a gallon a day and never noticed a change in salinity on a 75g DT and 30g sump. But good point.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could see where that would be necessary on a small system. But probably less so, I think, on a larger system. Unless maybe wot missed several days in a row. It by then your return pump would probably be sucking air anyway. I use about a gallon a day and never noticed a change in salinity on a 75g DT and 30g sump. But good point.
Yup its a small 20g tank. I manually top off once a week

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah with that small of a system you should probably top off every day if possible. It will keep the parameters more stable. But hey if it works for you.
Keep my temperature at 77f not much get evaporated so I only do it once a week it reaches 1.025. I’m using a HOB and it starts creating bubbles if the water level reaches too low. Doesn’t make much difference in salinity.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salinity in my tank fluctuates from 1.025-1.026, and my temp stays around 79. IMO with salinity, stability is just as important as what you decide to run out (assuming the salinity is within some reasonable range), and your temp is not an issue at all.

The green algea that is growing on your rocks is common in new tanks, and I very seriously doubt it's coralline.

Once you start getting stony corals alkalinity is one of the most important parameters you will measure, so a good alkalinity tester is very important. Personally I'd recommend the Hanna checker.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s kinda what I was thinking. I know my calcium ranges from 480-580. I don’t have a dkh test yet. Will be getting one soon tho. All I can say is tank seems to be doing good and all inhabitants look great and happy and healthy. I am getting a green algae coverage on my white rocks. Not quite sure what type it is. Good or bad. It’s not hair algae or at least not yet. Lol. I’m thinking more along the lines of green coralline. I am getting purple to start showing up as well. I think mostly more of a maturing tank. But heck what do I know. Lol. This is my first go at Saltwater. Only been up about 3 months. spent 3 years researching before I started the tank. And still so dang much to learn. Haha. Thanks.

3EDDA80C-F4EA-4EC0-AFE2-9721326863D8.jpeg
oh dang 2 tangs on 75g I better hide before the tang police gets here. On a serious note I’m also running my tank for 6 months now my algae is in control due to my clean up crew and I’m still waiting for coralline to be dominate.

OP
OP
Ramdude4G

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh dang 2 tangs on 75g I better hide before the tang police gets here. On a serious note I’m also running my tank for 6 months now my algae is in control due to my clean up crew and I’m still waiting for coralline to be dominate.
I know right. And actually I have 3 tangs. Lol. I have a Blue Hippo a yellow and a blonde naso. The blue and yellow I just got from a friend. I’m getting his whole system. The blonde I already had. But he is smaller. I may go trade the blue in for a smaller one at my LFS. But the yellow I’m keeping. Right now most places he is a $500 fish at his size and very hard to find one due to the Hawaii ban.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back