What salt are you using?

Sandroni

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I am currently using Red Sea Pro salt and I feel that the alk is a little high for my liking. Its about 11 dKH. I do a water change once a week and haven't had to dose. I tell myself the more SPS and other corals I put in the more alk will be soaked up. Thoughts or suggestions? Should I maybe switch to Fritz? I heard good things about them....
Thanks,
Angela​

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont do Fritz, i would stick with RSCP. I know multiple awesome tanks that crashed from Fritz. Its very controversial right now also with very high ALK btw. Another option that ive actually heard is maybe the best out there is hotsalt ;)

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your corals not doing well? Switch for a reason I guess is what I'm saying. I switched to Fritz because of the lower alk. I'd rather dose to keep it at 8.5 with nutrients in the water.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont do Fritz, i would stick with RSCP. I know multiple awesome tanks that crashed from Fritz. Its very controversial right now also with very high ALK btw. Another option that ive actually heard is maybe the best out there is hotsalt ;)
Thanks for the advice, I do have some great growth with Red Sea.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your corals not doing well? Switch for a reason I guess is what I'm saying. I switched to Fritz because of the lower alk. I'd rather dose to keep it at 8.5 with nutrients in the water.
Corals are good, I bought a 1 gallon of kalwasser as a back up and I was pondering if I ever need it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no inherent reason the salt mix need to match the tank alkalinity, unless you prefer to do large water changes as opposed to lots of small ones.

Also, it is not hard to reduce the alk in any salt mix, if you want. :)

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use RSCP since day 1 and I like it a lot. I am working on transitioning to hotsalt due to properties and values that dont exists in other salt mixes on the market. Zero moisture content. Mixes insanely quickly and ready. Price. Elemental make up.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no inherent reason the salt mix need to match the tank alkalinity, unless you prefer to do large water changes as opposed to lots of small ones.

The lowest it has gone down to is 10.6. My ato of course pumps RODI water so that might bring the alk down a bit?

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Man I love reading your comments!

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use RSCP since day 1 and I like it a lot. I am working on transitioning to hotsalt due to properties and values that dont exists in other salt mixes on the market. Zero moisture content. Mixes insanely quickly and ready. Price. Elemental make up.
Waiting 2 hours per tank is a bit of a pain.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to keep it in complete dry conditions. Any humidity will cause it to clump. Always close the bag tight and cover in a bucket in a humid free room.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 117 76.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back