What salt are you using?

Ryan Browne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always wanted to go there and get water for my tank. I just don't know how I would transport 200 gallons of ocean water. Plus I live about
2 hours North of San Diego.

I went from IO to instant ocean
IMG_0340.JPG

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your honestly not having negative issues from the alk being high then I wouldn't change a thing. Chasing numbers can cause more problems than anything. Stability IMO is more important. As you add coral and corals grow the uptake will increase. RSCP mixes quickly and I only mix for an hour which gives time for tank maintenance. I've got no problem with change but with all the money this hobby costs I'm not a fan of changing salts if said salt is working fine.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always wanted to go there and get water for my tank. I just don't know how I would transport 200 gallons of ocean water. Plus I live about
2 hours North of San Diego.
I have friends with tanker trucks.
Jus sayin. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to my source, he claims its fully mixed. Hes been performing a series of tests at different times. I really cant remember the exact time stamps too be honest. Ill get some more info for you guys!

The concern with aeration is O2 and pH/CO2.

If you fully aerated your source water (RO/DI), the only CO2 will be an issue, since seawater holds less O2 than fresh.

It is certainly possible to formulate a salt mix so that it need not have any pH issues before aeration. That said, some have historically been quite high in pH before aeration brings the pH down.

It is also possible to mix most mixes in 5 minutes, but you need a lot of turbulence:

How to Mix a Batch of Synthetic Seawater in Under Five Minutes
http://web.archive.org/web/20011217234403/www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1997/sep/bio/default.asp

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your honestly not having negative issues from the alk being high then I wouldn't change a thing. Chasing numbers can cause more problems than anything. Stability IMO is more important. As you add coral and corals grow the uptake will increase. RSCP mixes quickly and I only mix for an hour which gives time for tank maintenance. I've got no problem with change but with all the money this hobby costs I'm not a fan of changing salts if said salt is working fine.
I agree. :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from Instant ocean to Red Sea.
If it's not a financial concern,
Fwiw, I was using Instant Ocean and then switched back my "instant ocean " NSW joke there.
Very few people ask what my alk is.
Nor do they ask what this NSW alk is.

I keep my alk at 8-8.5. I do every other week 5g wc in my 30 and 5g wc in my 55g(sumped 65gvol)
IO is is 11. My NSW averages at about 7.
Blasphemy right?

Zero issues. Amazing sps growth. No Noticeable differences.

Well, ok, there is one ,
IMG_0166.JPG

Stuff gets bigger.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not a financial concern,
Fwiw, I was using Instant Ocean and then switched back my "instant ocean " NSW joke there.
Very few people ask what my alk is.
Nor do they ask what this NSW alk is.

I keep my alk at 8-8.5. I do every other week 5g wc in my 30 and 5g wc in my 55g(sumped 65gvol)
IO is is 11. My NSW averages at about 7.
Blasphemy right?

Zero issues. Amazing sps growth. No Noticeable differences.

Well, ok, there is one ,
IMG_0166.JPG

Stuff gets bigger.
Lol. I like the NSW puns, you don't have problem with pests? I know its filtered.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I like the NSW puns, you don't have problem with pests? I know its filtered.
No. I haven't been lucky enough to find a shrimp in there yet after 8or so years.

And yes. A guy with a 500 gal tank left water in the truck for months and found a half inch shrimp.

Myself, I kinda think of it all as plankton.

It's a sand filter. So it just strains large particles. Like giant filter floss.

I have to assume life can make its way through that.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I haven't been lucky enough to find a shrimp in there yet after 8or so years.

And yes. A guy with a 500 gal tank left water in the truck for months and found a half inch shrimp.

Myself, I kinda think of it all as plankton.

It's a sand filter. So it just strains large particles. Like giant filter floss.

I have to assume life can make its way through that.
Haha, little plankton buddy.

tcarter1936

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to keep it in complete dry conditions. Any humidity will cause it to clump. Always close the bag tight and cover in a bucket in a humid free room.
I'm taking a shot in the dark by assuming you don't live in Florida. lol no rooms with no humidity here[emoji23]

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say the only odd thing I have ever have happen is a few moths after the tank was born, same rock coral bla bla bla, I had a huge myisd shrimp bloom.

Ryan Browne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I could buy a 200 gallon water container and put it in the back of my truck. But then, I would have to drive to San Diego and the 5 fwy sucks on the weekend. 2 hour trip would take 4 hours. I think I'll just sit home and drink a beer, let my RO/DI take care of the work. haha

I have friends with tanker trucks.
Jus sayin. :)

Ryan Browne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like the Red Sea salt better? Have you noticed any difference when mixing? Has it help with coral growth? Just curious
because the Red Sea salt is double the price of Instant Ocean. I guess I need to see some benefits to switching salts.

I switched from Instant ocean to Red Sea.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I could buy a 200 gallon water container and put it in the back of my truck. But then, I would have to drive to San Diego and the 5 fwy sucks on the weekend. 2 hour trip would take 4 hours. I think I'll just sit home and drink a beer, let my RO/DI take care of the work. haha
Hahah. How bout this. Put a cooler in the truck with beer and we can just look at water.

Yea. The 5. ;Yuck

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like the Red Sea salt better? Have you noticed any difference when mixing? Has it help with coral growth? Just curious
because the Red Sea salt is double the price of Instant Ocean. I guess I need to see some benefits to switching salts.

IO is $47 on Amazon and Red Sea is $66 at DFS. IO says it will do 25 gallons more but in the real world, I doubt it. Even if it does that makes RS 60% more.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back