What salt brands do you recommend?

DoINeedAName?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking to change salt brands for a while, but I can’t settle on a brand. Do you recommend any specific brands? Any to avoid?

CocoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear a lot of good things about Red Sea Coral Pro salt but I've only used Fritz Reef Pro Mix since getting my tank. Was planning on switching to Red Sea once I upgrade tanks.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK if it’s the best salt compared to other brands but I switched from Coral Pro to the blue bucket in my nano and am very happy. Coral Pro was hard to store once mixed, and made dosing All for Reef difficult for me — I always had to supplement extra cal and mag, and now I don’t.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get what you can afford and is readily available. The best mix doesn't help if you can't afford or find it. Also pick one with parameters you like, no reason to buy regular instant ocean and have to dose it prior to use. If you want lower alk go with a mix that already has it, if you want higher go with something that has it, etc.

Now if your asking me what I use, I have both Instant Ocean Reef Crystals (for incoming fish/corals (what my LFS where 75% of my stuff comes from uses.)), And Tropic Marin Pro, which I use for my display, and to acclimate my incoming fish/coral too.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef crystals and I do get the brown crud in my mixing station, but it doesn't bother me. I'm considering switching to regular I/O though. As you can tell I prioritize the price of the salt that I use.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking to change salt brands for a while, but I can’t settle on a brand. Do you recommend any specific brands? Any to avoid?
What brand do you use and why do want to switch? I used Fritz blue box when I was doing manual water changes. It matched my parameters pretty well, and my LFS always had a special on it (cheap). When I went to AWC, I changed to Brightwell Neomarine. The Fritz just didn't keep well over time. Since I'm autodosing the big 3 anyway, I'm not as concerned about matching parameters. If I were still doing manual water changes, I'd probably still be using Fritz.

Moral of the story: What you're trying to achieve by changing salts may determine what salt to use.

OP
OP
D

DoINeedAName?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand do you use and why do want to switch? I used Fritz blue box when I was doing manual water changes. It matched my parameters pretty well, and my LFS always had a special on it (cheap). When I went to AWC, I changed to Brightwell Neomarine. The Fritz just didn't keep well over time. Since I'm autodosing the big 3 anyway, I'm not as concerned about matching parameters. If I were still doing manual water changes, I'd probably still be using Fritz.

Moral of the story: What you're trying to achieve by changing salts may determine what salt to use.
I want to change salts because my “lfs” Petco won’t be stocking salt soon. We had been using instant ocean, but now all they have is a diff salt under the instant ocean name. I don’t trust this salt because it has caused me two bacterial blooms.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to change salts because my “lfs” Petco won’t be stocking salt soon. We had been using instant ocean, but now all they have is a diff salt under the instant ocean name. I don’t trust this salt because it has caused me two bacterial blooms.
Is the other salt IO Reef Crystals? You should be able to get IO online.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tropic matin pro switched from reef crystals and will never switch back don’t miss the brown crude in mixing station. But some people love the brown stuff :)
Crap just thinking on switching to the regular IO from tropic Marine as it’s double the price of IO…

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef crystals and I do get the brown crud in my mixing station, but it doesn't bother me. I'm considering switching to regular I/O though. As you can tell I prioritize the price of the salt that I use.
They are almost the same price on Chewy. Maybe a couple dollars difference.

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always used red sea coral pro, but switched to tropic matin. One of the best decisions IMO. My corals grow twice as fast

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above they all work especially for fish only. The more expensive you get, the better the quality usually. If you have a high end reef tank then I would get the better stuff. Also salt on the Internet is way cheaper than the store. You can always just try different ones and see which you like at the end.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only used Red Sea Salt (not Coral Pro) and it has kept my Coralline growing well.
1636318849655.jpeg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are almost the same price on Chewy. Maybe a couple dollars difference.
Yea I just started looking at salt online. If willing to setup an auto shipment on petco website I can get the regular IO for $25 a bucket. If only a few dollar difference I will definitely stick with what I'm used to.

Back