What shoukd I feed a partialy blind clownfish?

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a clown that is foing blind in at least one eye. I have tried many things to fix it and it appears she is going to have to learn to deal with it. She is in a qt now and she finds food usualy on the bottom ok but when she goes back in the dt there is so much competition she will starve unkess I figure out a way to only feed her. Any thoughts on a nutritious option and a method to make sure she gets enough food? Maybe something meeting like raw shrimp in forceps?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown <<< loves to chew on sliced and whole clams on the half shell. The shell would make it easy to hold with your forceps. And the target would be pretty large.
Good on you for taking such good care of your little buddy. :)

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown <<< loves to chew on sliced and whole clams on the half shell. The shell would make it easy to hold with your forceps. And the target would be pretty large.
Good on you for taking such good care of your little buddy. :)
@Big G you are in every thread. ;) Thanks Im trying. I would have never thought of that. I will try that this week while she is in the qt to try and get her used to it. My purple tang is pushy. I have to keep him away. He eats coral feed out of the end of the syringe like a baby. ;)

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my clowns by hand. They both nibble on frozen chunk.

can you teach your clown to eat out of your hand?
I use to feed my fish out of my hands and then they started to bite my hands and arms when I was cleaning the tank. The proverbial biting of the hand that feeds you :p
It was fun but I stopped the hand feeding because the sudden pecks were annoying.

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well feeding the clown may be a moot point. I put her back in the dt today and the most of the other dish tried to kill her. A couple hours later I couldnt find her and she was stuck to the bottom of a powerhead. I turned the powerhead off and she swam away I was ammazed. This fish about 30 days in qt eating everyday and looked great other then the partial blindness. Apparently they forgot about their buddy while she was in qt ;(. Well she seemed so stressed I pulled her out and moved her to my sump. It like 50g or so but this cant be a long term plan. Ughhh.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have room in your DT for an acclimation box? Anything tank safe with a dark lid, clear sides and lots of holes for flow. Give the other fish a few days to get used to it being back in the tank.

OP
OP
Greenstarfish03

Greenstarfish03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have room in your DT for an acclimation box? Anything tank safe with a dark lid, clear sides and lots of holes for flow. Give the other fish a few days to get used to it being back in the tank.
Room yes. I have a box but my new tank is eurobraced and nothing I have will hang over the edge. Maybe there is a box made for this though im not sure. I thought of that last night but my box wont fit.

OnyxPerc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Room yes. I have a box but my new tank is eurobraced and nothing I have will hang over the edge. Maybe there is a box made for this though im not sure. I thought of that last night but my box wont fit.

I made my own "acclimation box" using egg crate and zip ties, then just clamped it to the side of the tank using some spring clamps exactly as @Greg P described.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back