What should be our first soft coral for a beginner? Prefer easy to keep.

Rdela568

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia, GSP, zonthids, palys all very easy but in the right conditions they can grow out of control

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoes are going to be your best bet. I've had, and lost, every type of coral but zoes. I'd skip the GSP, they will grow faster than you expect and take over.

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoes are going to be your best bet. I've had, and lost, every type of coral but zoes. I'd skip the GSP, they will grow faster than you expect and take over.

We lost an orange acan and hammer to the brown jelly disease. Had them
almost 9 months and then bam out of the blue got the jelly disease. What do zoa’s need, as far as , food and care? We feed Fuel,Reed Roids and Rod’s.

Thanks
Dan

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed roids or chili once a week letting it fall on zoes. They will feel it and close on their own. Mine are low in the tank but have descent flow making them gently sway. They will tell you if they are happy. If they are closed up all the time they aren't happy. If they really stretch up they want a little more light.

extremetang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid Xenia and Kenya trees, unless you really like them. They grow like weeds and can take over your entire tank. Too me they’re not even pretty. At least with GSP, they’re bright green and add some color to your tank.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
Dan
I would still do gsp, but put them on their own “Island” so they cannot move to other rocks. They are very pretty but very easy.

NemHost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go for zoas but avoid gsp. Gsp can detach from its base and spread all over the tank. I still think gsp is beautiful.

OP
OP
D

Dan_K1309

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed roids or chili once a week letting it fall on zoes. They will feel it and close on their own. Mine are low in the tank but have descent flow making them gently sway. They will tell you if they are happy. If they are closed up all the time they aren't happy. If they really stretch up they want a little more light.

We have two 1k Gyres in our tank. I have set to alternating mode for a mice flow. So, would reef roids be ok
to broadcast feed zoa’s?

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon green Kenya tree, because it doesn't drop babies everywhere and it looks good under white lights and even better under actinics.

GSP *ON A ROCK ON THE SAND OR ON THE BACK GLASS*. beautiful under whites or blues. Shouldn't 'shed' the way xenia does.
But it will ooze in every direction, especially towards the light.
You can rip it apart or slice it with a razor blade. Just make sure you don't leave any tiny pieces floating around.
Covering a new infection of it where you don't want it with reef putty works pretty good.
Make sure you get it early.

Another location is up high on the rocks. It grows towards the light. So it is less likely to spread downward. Unfortunately these locations are better reserved for better corals.
[emoji4]

Palys, on a separate island.
NOT, NOT, NOT !!! at the base of your main rock work !!!
They multiply quickly, grow up towards the light.
** They have serious toxins that put people in the hospital when trying to scrub or boil them from the rock !!! **
This is the classic scenario where people end up in the hospital.

We have had multiple types of Palys in our tank for years and I love them. Awesome corals.
Respecting their danger and growth patterns is of the utmost importance!

Mushrooms, again, on a separate island. If it's on your main rock work make sure it's a bounce mushroom.
[emoji6]
Get mushrooms that look good under both blues and whites.
[emoji4]
They can drift to where they are more happy. Or just anywhere the current takes them....

Lol, please avoid the *non* metallic blue or purple discosoma mushrooms. They spread like wild fire and are just not pretty enough to give up half a tanks worth of real estate to.

If you keep these animals the way I suggest you will be very happy with them and they will be easy to remove if you choose to upgrade to more expensive corals later.
[emoji4]
Happy reefing!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back