What should I expect to see after dosing Reef Flux?

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. 2 rounds of Fluconazole worked for me, it basically made manual removal much more effective and efficient, but I still had to remove by hand.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh. 2 rounds of Fluconazole worked for me, it basically made manual removal much more effective and efficient, but I still had to remove by hand.
Yeah, it was weird. One tiny patch lightened up a bit but was still very much alive. The peroxide worked very well, but some of my corals were not happy. My hammer has not yet recovered.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad case of turf algae, the first time I tried it it didn't do much. I thought I'd try it again but this time back to back treatments. I was happy to see after the second treatment the algae start turning white and a week later it was gone.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefflux is pretty effective at killing of GHA (most algae) in a shortspan. But you have to fix the nutrient export problem, otherwise its just coming back, and you may have cyano or some other issues before GHA establishes back.
Don't skip on water changes, its the simplest and surest way to get back to a normal state of low nutrient. Add some good bacteria (whatever you think is best, Jake at reef builders was psyched about the new micro bacter). Stay vigilant for the first few weeks with the goal of establishing beneficial bacteria. It may sound hard, but water change with mechanical removal of GHA alongside natural remedies ( mexican turbo snails) are best. Chemical means (such as reefflux) are only best to give you a sudden advantage, but they almost always have negative effects (in this case altering the existing biological system) and are never long term solutions. They are good to give the first hope when your tank is full of GHA and mechanical removal is not an option. So employ them, but remember they are only the first step of a long term strategy that you have to execute.
Im currently almost done beating a mean dino outbreak and im starting to get alot of GHA and briopsys growing what do you suggest i do? I cant do water changes yet since that might trigger the dinos again.

Coral Winslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently almost done beating a mean dino outbreak and im starting to get alot of GHA and briopsys growing what do you suggest i do? I cant do water changes yet since that might trigger the dinos again.
I know this is an old thread, but go on eBay and buy a $12 13 watt UV light. Throw it in the back or sump where nothing you want to live is in line of sight. Dino’s spread at night in the water column, UV will stop the spreading. I run mine 24/7 in one of the back compartments. Really best $12 ever. Reef Flux is great for targeting bryopsis specifically but I did notice during my treatment one of my wall torches lost a head. It was a new frag and may have just been coincidental.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but go on eBay and buy a $12 13 watt UV light. Throw it in the back or sump where nothing you want to live is in line of sight. Dino’s spread at night in the water column, UV will stop the spreading. I run mine 24/7 in one of the back compartments. Really best $12 ever. Reef Flux is great for targeting bryopsis specifically but I did notice during my treatment one of my wall torches lost a head. It was a new frag and may have just been coincidental.

You eliminated a bad dino outbreak by UV alone? That does not work for many folks.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure a 13W UV light will do much of anything for Dino's. Especially in a moving water column and through multiple layers of glass.
I would warn against this being a case of post hoc ergo propter hoc where it could have been nothing more than the passing of time that cleared your dino oubreak.

Coral Winslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure a 13W UV light will do much of anything for Dino's. Especially in a moving water column and through multiple layers of glass.
I would warn against this being a case of post hoc ergo propter hoc where it could have been nothing more than the passing of time that cleared your dino oubreak.
Very well could be coincidence however It was a matter of a week’s time between installing the UV and not having any more dinos.

Coral Winslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You eliminated a bad dino outbreak by UV alone? That does not work for many folks.
Mine wasn’t a bad Dino outbreak, I recently moved the tank tore down and rebuilt. Maybe it was the tank settling back in that got rid of the Dino’s, but a week after placing the UV in the back compartment of my AIO, they were gone.

Coral Kai

Coral Kai Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
As the Reef Flux kills off the algae, the algae will release the trapped nutrients back into the tank. Their really isn't a whole lot you can do until it runs its course. I actually kept my skimmer off for a week before turning it back on to get rid if bryopsis algae.
did the bryopsis die?

Coral Kai

Coral Kai Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Or I really dislike playing with them but I've found it necessary. Either one could be true. ;)

My experience is that I would rather use Vibrant from Undewater Creations for most GHA, especially since you can keep your skimmer on, and run GAC in a reactor to absorb any contaminants your algae my release while dying.
For Bryopsis or a specific type of GHA I battled, the combination of Vibrant and Fluco (Reef Flux) was hard to beet. I wouldn't wish that type of GHA on anyone. I'd take Bryopsis any day.
So use reef flux for Bryopsis right? i think i have some in my tank and they are growing fast

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best birthday present ever 95% GHA gone and 80% lyngbya gone.

Dosed Azithromycin for lyngbya - no improvement
Dosed recommended dose fluconozole for GHA - no improvement
Dosed 2x dose fluconozole- no improvement
Dosed 4x dose fluconozole- one more week to go till water change but it’s almost all gone!!! Couldn’t be happier!!!

I expected PO4 and NO3 to go up but PO4 is 0.02 and NO3 is 0.1 Hanna.

All livestock is happy except chaeto is starting to fall apart a little when I rotate it. Color is still good and not disintegrating but I will replace it next week when I do a water change and run carbon.

Tank is 2 years old. I just don’t want the algae coming back. I’m thinking I need to dose Azithromycin higher than recommended to get rid of the lyngbya majuscula (cyano) to be sure I get rid of it. It’s so nasty and frustrating. I’m so close. Most is gone so maybe the rest will die off this week before the water change and running carbon.

But I think my whole ecosystem is out of balance now and not sure how to get it healthy again. I pulled 3/4 of the chaeto. I need to raise nutrients but don’t want algae to come back.

Briansreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well could be coincidence however It was a matter of a week’s time between installing the UV and not having any more dinos.
This is old I know but for anyone searching in the future who finds it . I too have done this with the Dinos and within 3 days they were gone. Not a massive outbreak but it was persistent. It worked. 13 w eBay UV in back of my 65 AIO.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back