What should i feed my fish?

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one 55 qt tank with a niger, kleins butterfly, 1" six line wrasse, 3" coral beauty and a clownfish.

The other one is a 125 with a:

Blue hippo
Sailfin tang
Purple tang
2 clownfish
Picasso triggerfish
Foxface rabbitfish

Ive been feeding them high quality pellets and spirulina flakes but i feel like is not complete, hence why my foxface develops these tiny tiny tiny brown spot on his right fin, the qt tank will hold all those 5 fish for 2 months, please tell me what to feed each tank and how often, I prefer to feed only once a day in a big quantity

OP
OP
M

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend nori soaked with selcon on a clip. You don't have to go overboard -- just a nice piece, not a whole sheet -- on a clip will do, but you have a lot of herbivores.
So nori for the hervibores how much? An inch? what about the rest

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own food for carnivores...

Raw never cooked:
frozen shrimp
octopus
scallops
Tuna or Salmon (whichever is available, I prefer Tuna)
silversides
brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
krill

Blend/Shred it all up with a food processor, put it in a gallon bag to mix it, then put it into some silicon 1/2" icecube trays with some vitamin supplements and freeze it. I feed 2 of the 1/2" cubes a day at the same time in a defrosting feeder.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So nori for the hervibores how much? An inch? what about the rest
I have 2 tangs between 3 and 4 inches, when I first got them almost 2 years ago and the tank was new i would put in a full sheet and it was gone by the end of day. As the tank matured they started picking up algae and i cut the nori in half, now I'm down to a quarter sheet because i also feed a half cube of mysis, half cube of spirulina brine and a small portion of my home made food which consists of shrimp, clams and scallops .
Making my own food saves a ton of money as well as buying nori made for people.
I used to have a Picasso trigger years ago and he loved shrimp and clams.

Good luck with your fish.

Last edited:

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only 3 herbivores in my 125g, the others are omnivores, but never see them eating plants. I feed a whole sheet of LRS green algae daily and it is gone in half a day. I do vary the type of dry algae I give them, but the quantity is the size of a LRS sheet.
Rabbit fish, Eiblii angel and Hyppo tank.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re looking for high quality, pre-made frozen food, I’d go with LRS foods. If you’re supplementing with nori, then I’d go with LRS Reef or Fertility Frenzy.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can grow food for the foxface via a refugium (or a little diy seaweed farming tank on the side).
My favorite foods are:
  • ocean nutrition prime reef flakes
  • hikari seaweed extreme pellets,
  • PE flakes
  • any enriched frozen food

When I can, I will soak the dry food in an omega/hufa product and/or vitachem. I prefer dry over frozen due to convenience, and that the fish likely get more energy out of them (refined food = more readily broken down = more energy). Dry food is likely the better option if you can only feed once a day. The main thing is to not feed just one food item (such as those who only feed brine/mysis), since we keep fish from various place, with varying ages and dietary goals.

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one 55 qt tank with a niger, kleins butterfly, 1" six line wrasse, 3" coral beauty and a clownfish.

Blue hippo
Sailfin tang
Purple tang
2 clownfish
Picasso triggerfish
Foxface rabbitfish

Ive been feeding them high quality pellets and spirulina flakes but i feel like is not complete, hence why my foxface develops these tiny tiny tiny brown spot on his right fin, the qt tank will hold all those 5 fish for 2 months, please tell me what to feed each tank and how often, I prefer to feed only once a day in a big quantity
My fish really love mysis shrimp and marine cuisine.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current on hand food for my 90g

Mysis
Spirulina brine shrimp
Blood worms
Nori
Rods reef blend
Rods fish eggs
Nori sheets
Hikari herbivore blend
Pellets.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the herbivores, I'd do plenty of nori or grow macroalgae for them. I'd also include frozen clams on the half shell to keep the triggers busy. For the rest of the fish, mysis shrimp and spirulina brine will be a complete diet. Frozen fish eggs would also be appreciated. I prefer to avoid pellets and flakes, because they often contain things that our fish would never even see in the wild, like potatoes and alfalfa. I hope that this helps!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS your trigger fish may enjoy some mussels or clams if you can get some

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Blue hippo
Sailfin tang
Purple tang
2 clownfish
Picasso triggerfish
Foxface rabbitfish

Fish Frenzy from LRS... just look at the ingredient list and you will know why :)

fishrambo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own food for carnivores...

Raw never cooked:
frozen shrimp
octopus
scallops
Tuna or Salmon (whichever is available, I prefer Tuna)
silversides
brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
krill

Blend/Shred it all up with a food processor, put it in a gallon bag to mix it, then put it into some silicon 1/2" icecube trays with some vitamin supplements and freeze it. I feed 2 of the 1/2" cubes a day at the same time in a defrosting feeder.
Same here I kick some tunes on and get to mixing it’s an every Sunday routine

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back