What should I test for

random_name_2

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 2, 2026
Messages
11
Reaction score
22
Location
SoCal (IE)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’m new to coral keeping and am wondering what should i be testing for weekly for soft corals? I have zoas and gsp right now and there doing good but I would like to watch out for the numbers just to make sure but I didn’t really know what to look for. Also in the future when I keep lps what should I be looking for then or is it the same? Thank you
 
I went from testing them all to now just Alk.
Cal and p04 only once a month.

about your questions, agreed with Rocks reef, alk is the #1 then your po4 and nitrate bc you dont want those two to bottom out.
Softies and LPS do better with slightly elevated po4.
and sps.. well you'll get there when you get there ; p
 
I agree with Rocks reef. And I would also test calcium
 
For softies I wouldn’t worry too much about parameters :) Just as you would only keep fish, test for Nitrates and salinity (softies like nutrients). If you have algae problems, other values like phosphate are good to test.

They don’t have a skeleton like sps and Lps so the chemistry is a bit less difficult when it comes to those elements (calcium, magnesium, alk,… :)
 
That’s true and softies also like the dirtier water
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new