What size bag of chemipure blue?

Sterbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m kinda confused. I have a 29 gallon mixed reef that I switched from a canister filter to an aqua clear 70 hob. I have an in take basket coming for it and want to run floss that will be changed out regularly and run some chemipure blue. I just don’t know what size to order in the pre filled bags for that tank. I just don’t want to put in too much and strip the water too much like I have read that it can do.

OP
OP
Sterbs

Sterbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would like to run carbon and I came across this just don’t know what size to get for my tank..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I would like to run carbon and I came across this just don’t know what size to get for my tank..

Amounts of GAC are not very critical. That said, I'm not sure chemi pure blue is the best choice since it is not just carbon.

OP
OP
Sterbs

Sterbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amounts of GAC are not very critical. That said, I'm not sure chemi pure blue is the best choice since it is not just carbon.
I understand that it’s not just carbon. I am just wanting to know what size for the tank

mbmartin06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to their instructions the 5oz pack treats 35- 50 gallons. You could get the nano 5 pack and use all of them as each nano pack is for up to 5 gallons. You could even get a 6th one if you think 30 gallons is more appropriate Or roll the dice and go for the 5oz. From my personal experience I’d start lower and work my way up over time as it will lower you NO3 & PO4. If that’s what you need/want go higher I guess.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that it’s not just carbon. I am just wanting to know what size for the tank

Just trying to help you avoid a useless product. The ion exchange resin part is not useful.

OP
OP
Sterbs

Sterbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to their instructions the 5oz pack treats 35- 50 gallons. You could get the nano 5 pack and use all of them as each nano pack is for up to 5 gallons. You could even get a 6th one if you think 30 gallons is more appropriate Or roll the dice and go for the 5oz. From my personal experience I’d start lower and work my way up over time as it will lower you NO3 & PO4. If that’s what you need/want go higher I guess.
I do need to lower my NO3 and NO4 last I checked they were way high and I have grown a lot of green hair algae... so I think this chemipure blue will bee good for that?

mbmartin06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do need to lower my NO3 and NO4 last I checked they were way high and I have grown a lot of green hair algae... so I think this chemipure blue will bee good for that?
FWIW, From their website:
Chemi-pure Blue is a revolutionary filtration media that is designed to adsorb nitrogenous organic molecules, along with phosphates and to some extent even nitrates much faster, more efficiently, and for a longer period of time than other aquarium filtration media available.

i tried it and it lowered both for me. I prefer GFO and carbon because nitrates aren’t my problem. I believe the elite is GFO and carbon but it’s cheaper to just buy each component separately so I have never tried elite.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nope. It will not bind nitrate or phosphate from seawater.

It will bind organics and prevent them from degrading, and may slowly lower N and P that way, but not better than ordinary GAC, which is not all that effective for that purpose.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemi-pure Blue is a revolutionary filtration media that is designed to adsorb nitrogenous organic molecules, along with phosphates and to some extent even nitrates much faster, more efficiently, and for a longer period of time than other aquarium filtration media available.

i tried it and it lowered both for me. I prefer GFO and carbon because nitrates aren’t my problem. I believe the elite is GFO and carbon but it’s cheaper to just buy each component separately so I have never tried elite.

The nitrate and phosphate claim is presumably based on fresh water, not seawater. It will not bind those from seawater. As I mentioned above, organic removal can slowly impact those, but then you are asking how it compares to, say ROX 0.8 GAC or Seachem Purigen.

Last edited:

mbmartin06

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrate and phosphate claim is presumably based on fresh water, not seawater. It will not bind those from seawater. As I mentioned above, organic removal can slowly impact those, but then you are asking how it compares to, say ROX 0.8 GAC or Seachem Purigen.
I don’t doubt it’s a bunch of marketing for sales purposes. I haven’t used it in some time and most likely never will again. The N and P did reduce when I used it which may have been associated with some other change at the time.
That said my Phosphate was higher than I my tank liked so I used GFO and I alway run some carbon (no clue why just alway have) and that reduced my P to a point where my tank was happy. Mind you this is all a previous tank but if I run into this again that is still a solid plan correct?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said my Phosphate was higher than I my tank liked so I used GFO and I alway run some carbon (no clue why just alway have) and that reduced my P to a point where my tank was happy. Mind you this is all a previous tank but if I run into this again that is still a solid plan correct?

Yep. Happy Reefing. :)

OP
OP
Sterbs

Sterbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How much did the blue lower them for you?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much did the blue lower them for you?

Since it cannot bind nitrate and phosphate from seawater, and only binds organics, extrapolating from someones else's experience can be tricky since you may have a very different turnover of organic matter in your tank.

My suggestion is that, if you are set on using this product in this way, is to just start using it and see what happens.

There is very little chance you will rapidly get too low in either nitrate or phosphate (which was your original concern) using organic binding as the mechanism.

OP
OP
Sterbs

Sterbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it cannot bind nitrate and phosphate from seawater, and only binds organics, extrapolating from someones else's experience can be tricky since you may have a very different turnover of organic matter in your tank.

My suggestion is that, if you are set on using this product in this way, is to just start using it and see what happens.

There is very little chance you will rapidly get too low in either nitrate or phosphate (which was your original concern) using organic binding as the mechanism.
Ok thank you! What would you suggest I run in my HOB filter?

Back