What size ice packs does everyone use and where do you buy them? (Summer is just around the corner)

PSUolive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I figured since we are getting into spring and summer is coming fast this could be helpful to others as well as myself.

I searched and did not see any recent posts within the last few years dedicated to Ice packs and shipping corals.

I know many people make their own ice packs and others re-use the ones they have got from LFS or Live Aquaria but this thread is specifically for where people BUY their ice packs from and what size they choose to use for their boxes and why they chose those specific options.
1683897416296.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I figured since we are getting into spring and summer is coming fast this could be helpful to others as well as myself.

I searched and did not see any recent posts within the last few years dedicated to Ice packs and shipping corals.

I know many people make their own ice packs and others re-use the ones they have got from LFS or Live Aquaria but this thread is specifically for where people BUY their ice packs from and what size they choose to use for their boxes and why they chose those specific options.
1683897416296.png
I used zip lock bags. You can buy a 30 pack for under $5. I placed them in the sump, so use a size that will fit fine and the idea is to rotate them. Place one frozen one in sump, allow to melt and lower temp. When it melts, pull a new frozen one from freezer and place melted one back in freezer
I currently use a chiller unit

OP
OP
PSUolive

PSUolive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just started shipping corals this past January during the winter months and was successful in shipping to single digit and even negative temperature locations. But the time of year for heat packs is now gone and its almost time for ice packs.

I personally ship in 8x8x8 boxes or 10x10x10 and cut my own 1" insulation from the 8'X4ft sheets you get from Home Depot. I also only ship overnight only to minimize DOA's.

So I am probably going to go with Uline's Ice packs either 6oz or 8oz for those same size boxes mentioned above. I am curious what others who ship in hot weather use and why they use that size.

Link to the Uline Icepacks

OP
OP
PSUolive

PSUolive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
48 6oz ice packs measuring 5 1/2 x 4 x 3/4" for $22 isn't bad. But Since I have never used them before to ship coral. I dont know if they are big enough to stay cold for 12-16 hours.

OP
OP
PSUolive

PSUolive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Part of me wants to use the re-useable ice packs in my shipments with the hopes that people will not just throw them away and that they will re-use them in some manor and help cut down on the trash and plastic we are putting into the ground and oceans.
But I guess not everyone thinks about re-useable items like that and I am sure most just get thrown away anyway.

I still may spend the little bit extra and add a note in each shipment to mention why I use re-useable ice packs with the hope that they will also re-use them any number of things. ( Lunch boxes, coolers, shipping their own coral or traveling with coolers in a car etc..)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back