What size quarantine tank?

Fish_Tank_J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting ready to order a medium size powder brown tang and was wondering what size quarantine tank would I need? Right now I have a 20 gallon qt.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m debating on doing a QT with my new tank or not. Seems like a lot more work . Do QT stress out fish more?

I can tell you from personal experience that once you put a fish in your display tank. Odds are against you of getting that fish out without tearing apart half the tank. I just spent several hours to get out a dispar anthia that has brooklynella.

OP
OP
Fish_Tank_J

Fish_Tank_J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m debating on doing a QT with my new tank or not. Seems like a lot more work . Do QT stress out fish more?

I would quarantine even though it seems like a lot of work it could save you tank from being wiped out by a disease introduced by something you added.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used to always keep a rock or two in my sump to be used in initial quarantine. If no treatment was necessary the rock would go back in the sump, otherwise easier to discard a rock than deal with a tank crash. I think, though I can’t prove, that having something more natural looking helped the fish.

Quarantine is absolutely stressful. However, you have to weigh the risks and benefits of it...you may kill the new fish in quarantine, though most healthy fish pull through, or skip the quarantine and risk killing all other fish in your tank or even have to run your tank fallow... another reason why we can’t wait for Humblefish to open up his store! (I haven’t added a new fish in ~2yrs).

OP
OP
Fish_Tank_J

Fish_Tank_J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hard is it to set up a QT? I really want it simple lol

My quarantine is really simply I have a hang on back filter with some sponge in it, powerhead, old led light, and some pvc pipe for hiding spots.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20L is workable, but a 30L is better. 40B for bigger fish.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need is a tank, size is less important but I think 10g is the minimum, a heater (preferably with a reliable controller), a pump, Air stone, or a HOB filter. A pvc pipe or two. You’ll have to watch ammonia and be ready to make water changes and add Prime or the like. Maybe use some bacteria to set up the tank but likely not necessary.

it’s much simpler than treating sick fish

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need is a tank, size is less important but I think 10g is the minimum, a heater (preferably with a reliable controller), a pump, Air stone, or a HOB filter. A pvc pipe or two. You’ll have to watch ammonia and be ready to make water changes and add Prime or the like. Maybe use some bacteria to set up the tank but likely not necessary.

it’s much simpler than treating sick fish

Alright, how many water changes do you do?Do you treat fish even tho they don’t have something? The most important thing is ammonia and nitrite for a QT?

OP
OP
Fish_Tank_J

Fish_Tank_J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, how many water changes do you do?Do you treat fish even tho they don’t have something? The most important thing is ammonia and nitrite for a QT?

Some people are different but I treat every fish even if they don’t have something. To keep my water quality good I do a 15% to 20% every few days. If you do a bigger quarantine tank you can usually do water changes less frequently because the bigger water volume. The most important thing in a qt is keeping the ammonia levels low.

OP
OP
Fish_Tank_J

Fish_Tank_J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some people like to observe the fish and then if they see anything treat it.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people are different but I treat every fish even if they don’t have something. To keep my water quality good I do a 15% to 20% every few days. If you do a bigger quarantine tank you can usually do water changes less frequently because the bigger water volume. The most important thing in a qt is keeping the ammonia levels low.

+1 on water changes depending on the tank size

I generally never treated unless I saw an issue (exception were fish Id get from Petco/petland during my naive years or for study) but the downside of that is that you have to wait longer...prazi and some short term antibiotics are generally fine prophylacticaly. I’d definitely wait for symptoms before copper and CP given that fish may or may not tolerate even if you manage to test and dose properly.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back