What size sump would you recommend?

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the stand, nothing else to go with it. We are planning on upsizing our 125g to a 180g. We are not using a sump right now but I would like to do so with the new tank. I am using a fluval fx6 canister filter right now with no issues or problems for the last 3 years. I am trying to purchase items needed in stages so as not to do one large purchase.
What size sump would be recommended? I am trying to keep everything as simple and uncomplicated as possible. I will also need a recommendation for a skimmer as we only have an undersized hob skimmer right now. Any other must have recommendations? Lights won't be changed as they will work perfectly for the 180g.
Thanks for any and all replies.

Steve P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same situation...going to start a 180g after a 15 year hiatus.

I've been looking at Trigger Systems, GEO'S Reef, and Synergy Reef. I'm going to run Triton method and thinking the Synergy TS-44 will work best. The refugium is large enough for the 10% of tank capacity. As far as the skimmer, not sure at the moment. Starting with Reef Octopus 202-S maybe?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dimensions are the inside of the stand?

I would get the biggest sump you can. Increase the amount of water in the system.

If you are mechanically inclined you can make your own. It’s not that hard. I used acrylic baffles instead of glass in mine.

What type of budget are you working with? Cause if you are tight with money it’s gonna make recommendations for a skimmer or other equipment harder. Without a range some ppl will just give the high end product when there’s no way you can afford it.

For example, I use a coralife skimmer, it’s rated for 300g. It took a few weeks to break in but it works great and I have no problems. It’s “cheaper”compared to other skimmers. But I wasn’t going to be able to afford a $500+ skimmer.

Last edited:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to keep it roughly 30% the volume of the display as this is typically large enough to comfortably fit the ancillary components (reactors, skimmers, heaters, pumps, etc.) that get stuffed down there and compensate for the lost volume of the display once rock, sand, corals, etc. are placed there.

OP
OP
MamaLovesHerReefTank

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the minimum size I could go with? I would like to have a refugium as well. I won't be using any reactors. Just skimmer, pump, heater, filter socks etc. I have 6ft for length, 2ft height and 2ft depth. Unfortunately, I'm not the best at diy but I might be able to get my lfs to help me out in building my own.

10Seconds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO people oversize their sumps all the time. Im using a 40g breeder for my sump on my 220. Works great and has a decent refugium section too. I had a 75 but wanted more room under the stand so I switched.

Doclight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own 40g sump for my 180..pretty easy for diy... I’d have done a 55 if I had found one cheap

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the minimum size I could go with? I would like to have a refugium as well. I won't be using any reactors. Just skimmer, pump, heater, filter socks etc. I have 6ft for length, 2ft height and 2ft depth. Unfortunately, I'm not the best at diy but I might be able to get my lfs to help me out in building my own.

Minimum would be whatever holds the requisite volume during a back siphon event (power out, feed mode, pump maintenance etc.). If you want a refugium, plan on 10% of the tanks volume to have one that offers positive results (roughly ~18 gallons), enough room for your skimmer, and return pump, along with the remaining volume to handle the back siphon (I have no idea how much that will be in your tank but it's roughly 8-12 gallons for my 150g).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back