what skimmers are you all using?

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos user here, very happy, I tend to avoid any company who trash others. Lifereef look way to DIY for me, are they only available in the US?

I had a Dalua, but I sold it, the 3d printed parts, no pump mounting and plastic turned me off, the pump did seem quite good.

I would not hesitate in using use Reef Octopus, Nyos, or Red Dragon.

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 on mine, adds an extra foot in height.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 on mine, adds an extra foot in height.

good to know I was just looking at the life reef skimmer neck extension for there units. good to know reef octo now has it as well.

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifereef will fall about in the middle, 400-600 depending. But what you get is the best customer service, full customization, and the dang thing will run forever. Plus it’s Venturi.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifereef look way to DIY for me, are they only available in the US?

they do look a bit DIY but from what I here there tanks some have been running for over 20 years and still have support. + it's a one man operation, there not mass produced in china.
IDK I have never seen one in person. going to look into them for sure tho.
I believe they can ship anywhere but shipping would be pretty hefty tho?

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifereef will fall about in the middle, 400-600 depending. But what you get is the best customer service, full customization, and the dang thing will run forever. Plus it’s Venturi.

yeah that is what I hear, great CS and long running skimmers. do you have one? mind sharing it with us?

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah absolutely. I was able to get the color without any additional charge. The hardest part was getting it dialed in, since I have a tendency to mess with things a lot lol. the gate valve allows you to fine tune your skimmate incredibly precisely.

9E2CFC6D-5370-4D8F-A333-61CCE8DD0264.jpeg 042BEFE7-80C5-467C-BE81-5D5B8223B2B6.jpeg

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus when you order you can call Jeff up and he’ll dial in what you need for you’re set up. Was a nice addition for me, ya he didn’t try to sell me anything I didn’t need.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah absolutely. I was able to get the color without any additional charge. The hardest part was getting it dialed in, since I have a tendency to mess with things a lot lol. the gate valve allows you to fine tune your skimmate incredibly precisely.

9E2CFC6D-5370-4D8F-A333-61CCE8DD0264.jpeg 042BEFE7-80C5-467C-BE81-5D5B8223B2B6.jpeg

witch model did you get? looks like a WB aquarium ? what size?

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but if I had to move up to a bigger model I would have gotten Red Sea.

r2odie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a reef octopus 250 int on my 375. I was advised to size correctly when I set my tank up and not oversize. It works great.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos user here, very happy, I tend to avoid any company who trash others. Lifereef look way to DIY for me, are they only available in the US?

I had a Dalua, but I sold it, the 3d printed parts, no pump mounting and plastic turned me off, the pump did seem quite good.

I would not hesitate in using use Reef Octopus, Nyos, or Red Dragon.
+1 Nyos user here as well. Used them on my last 3 builds.... no regrets

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Reef Dynamics INS300 running my 300DD. I think it's rated for 450 gallons. They are no longer made which is too bad. It's been my best skimmer so far.

Whatever you get, I recommend getting it used and saving a bunch of money. Huge skimmers are expensive, especially new, but they are also hard to sell secondhand because there aren't nearly as many people with huge tanks.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they do look a bit DIY but from what I here there tanks some have been running for over 20 years and still have support. + it's a one man operation, there not mass produced in china.
IDK I have never seen one in person. going to look into them for sure tho.
I believe they can ship anywhere but shipping would be pretty hefty tho?

I believe Jeff will ship anywhere in the world if you're willing to pay it, I forget what it cost me for shipping but I think it was around $150 with taxes and border fees taken into consideration (Live in Canada and UPS is famous for charging the living daylights out of things).

Plus when you order you can call Jeff up and he’ll dial in what you need for you’re set up. Was a nice addition for me, ya he didn’t try to sell me anything I didn’t need.

I think next to the fact that you can 100% customize your skimmer to your liking and this are two of the biggest selling points on working with Jeff. Yes he will bash other skimmers to no end, but, he will never recommend something unless you don't absolutely need it. And his products will out last almost anything on the market.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP - what features are you looking for in a skimmer? Performance only, noise level, energy efficiency, footprint, etc.

Yes he will bash other skimmers to no end, but, he will never recommend something unless you don't absolutely need it.

I don't understand that approach at all, I read it and think "off-putting" instead of "wow, this must be the best." I still tried one though :)

NO SUCKING or WHISTLING NOISES, silent operation, no injector nozzle noise, no out-of-balance needle-wheel noises.

My experience was different, it made a fair amount of noise that I would describe as sucking and injector nozzle noise. When I asked about it, I was told that I must be pacified into thinking skimmers are supposed to be silent:rolleyes:. If sound and energy efficiency are not at the top of your wants, it may be a fine solution for your application, they certainly seem to skim well.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP - what features are you looking for in a skimmer? Performance only, noise level, energy efficiency, footprint, etc.

I don't understand that approach at all, I read it and think "off-putting" instead of "wow, this must be the best." I still tried one though :)

NO SUCKING or WHISTLING NOISES, silent operation, no injector nozzle noise, no out-of-balance needle-wheel noises.

My experience was different, it made a fair amount of noise that I would describe as sucking and injector nozzle noise. When I asked about it, I was told that I must be pacified into thinking skimmers are supposed to be silent:rolleyes:. If sound and energy efficiency are not at the top of your wants, it may be a fine solution for your application, they certainly seem to skim well.

this is a great question,
like us all I want it all...
great price point
skim very well
last for years and years to come
energy effect big tanks do suck down the electricity
tune able
something that I dont have to mess with everyday.

at this point in the game I am just getting ideas and pricing things out between a large tank and a monster tank so i can get the numbers for startup and operating cost to help make the decision that is right for my budget. :D

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back