What species is the red planet?

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pretty good haul this weekend I know majority of their names but I want to learn the species name as well.
It looks like a Mille, mine has amazing PE. But the corallite structure looks different from my pink Mille and green Mille.

I can post a pic when I get home.

Thanks in advance
Lucas

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pretty good haul this weekend I know majority of their names but I want to learn the species name as well.
It looks like a Mille, mine has amazing PE. But the corallite structure looks different from my pink Mille and green Mille.

I can post a pic when I get home.

Thanks in advance
Lucas

I wanted a piece of that!!

OP
OP
REEFIN RIOS

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2AFEA9C6-621B-41E4-B42E-AE44BBD12CA2.jpeg
Here’s a pic of it

OP
OP
REEFIN RIOS

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking to a few other older reefers and they said it was a millepora which makes senses. I looked up those y’all sent and it diddnt really look like it.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
ORA said it was an A. Anthocercis in 2008 when they released the coral. I don’t know what they are basing their taxonomy on but they may know where it came from back in ‘06 and that may have been a factor at the time as to actual species identification.

Thanks,
Ed

OP
OP
REEFIN RIOS

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’m no expert in acros by any means at least not yet. I hope one day I can be as knowledgeable y’all out there. Kinda a dumb question but obviously there are Different forms of polyps, but the extension looks to be the same as the mille, but yet again what I said earlier the corallite structure looks nothing like a Mille.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah most people only see frags of this coral. So I can see why some think it might be a milli. Its a tabling acro for sure. I remember seeing old pics from ORA of the mother colony, it was huge, all deep red and tabling. Its an older coral now and was really popular around 2008-2012. Its crazy to see a Red Planet now under new LED lighting compared to MH and T5 from when the Red Planet was released.

OP
OP
REEFIN RIOS

REEFIN RIOS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah most people only see frags of this coral. So I can see why some think it might be a milli. Its a tabling acro for sure. I remember seeing old pics from ORA of the mother colony, it was huge, all deep red and tabling. Its an older coral now and was really popular around 2008-2012. Its crazy to see a Red Planet now under new LED lighting compared to MH and T5 from when the Red Planet was released.
I run a t5 hybrid with a AI Hydra 26 I’m adding another tomorrow I already have the light just need to put it on. The person I bought it from has a giant colony! And a beautiful tank. It was under MHs. So I know the transition is going to a while but so far it’s not dying right away like past sps I’ve had. Before this tank. I have all my sps on a frag rack on the bottom. For a few weeks to get them used to my lights. Afterwards I’ll move them higher to where I’d like them. And where they should be placed in the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back