What Temp does everyone run there tank at?

What is the tempature of your tank?

• Total voters

edwing206

Visca el Barça!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the choices should've been ranges of temperatures. I don't know any reefer that can maintain their tanks within 1 degree.
I chose 77 because that's what my lowest is. My range is 77-82. Usually doesn't go above 80 though.

whip1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can mine is always 77-78 dono why? maybe it's location location location..

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I agree with the comment about nobody being able to maintain their tanks within 1 degree. I just checked out my graph from my RKE and mine has stayed between 77.8 - 78.2 since I started logging. With a chiller and a heater I don't see why this wouldn't be possible.

Myteemouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76( heater kicks on when below ) -80.5(when chiller kicks on)
But on average 78-79 degrees

Amici

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine stays between 77.5 and 78.5. STABILITY of temperature is the key. I do not recommend a swing of more than 3 degrees in a day from my experience. Tanks with temp swings are more likely to have corals RTN in my experience.

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with stability is key. My tank goes from 77.5-77.9. I noticed when I had halides and had larger temp swings that my corals grew slower and the color was not as intense.

Gazog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks are in my basement and since I had seahorses for a couple of years I kept both of my
my tanks between 73 and 75 degrees. Even though they passed on a few month ago I haven't
seen any reason to change it.

I have to disagree Paul, the ocean does stay pretty constant when you are talking about the
depths that most of the corals and fish are located at, at least at a daily level. The only part
that changes daily is the upper foot or so and thats only very close to shore

Last edited:

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree Paul, the ocean does stay pretty constant when you are talking about the
depths that most of the corals and fish are located at, at least at a daily level. The only part
that changes daily is the upper foot or so and thats only very close to shore

and I'll have to disagree back at ya..:bigsmile: First the variety of coral we keep in our tank don't all come from the same temperature ranges. Second many come from areas that fluctuate in the 83-86 degree rang. Temp is the one thing IMO that as long as it never got too hot or too cold my coral always had the same growth and coloration. Unless you consider a 3 or 4degree swing "pretty constant" then I agree with you.

Gazog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off let me say thank you for that link, I found it really interesting reading.

That article talks about average annual temperatures not daily, and I realize they
fluctuate annually, I was talking about daily which is what I thought this post was
about.

I also realize that all the different corals come from different temperature ranges
but once again I was talking about the "Daily fluctuations in temperatures" not
what temperatures coral live in.

Lastly that article pretty much cites SEA SURFACE temperature which I don't know
about you I consider the "upper foot or so" the surface.

DBarsotti

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
79.5 - 81.5 the tank starts to shut off lights at 81.5

I once kept a softy tank at 90+ for 6 months and everything grew great. I had a faulty temp probe that was off by 10.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a .2change every day. I have central air blazing all day and a quality heater. Only temp change is when my t5s turn off. I use to have a 6 daggree change daily with 400w mh and I didn't see any Ill effects.

deepair3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beg to differ. I am including a link to one of the dive operations I teach scuba with. The temperatures change all year. Florida waters over Spring break were down 5-8 degrees from the previous years. As you can see the temps in the Atlantic off of NC swing almost 20 degrees in 6 months.

Dive Conditions

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 73 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.2%
Back