What temperature do you keep your mixed reef at?

What temp do you keep your mixed reef at max?

• Total voters

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
California here, during the summer time the tank runs 81F - 83.5F without issues, ( don't have a chiller, fans kick on at 82F and turn back off at 81.3F ) everything is happy and growing well, have a mixed reef. During the winter times I keep the tank at 79F - 81F. Here is a older video of the tank. I unfortunately lost most of my fish collection this year during a power outage this year in January

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back 10 years ago people would freak out at 78 degrees for any reef tank. Today I see many are ok with temps as high as 85.

My tank has been hovering around 82 degrees during the day and about 77 at night. I just ordered a set of fans and would like everyone's opinion on when they should kick on. I am trying to minimize noise so was originally thinking of kicking them on late like at 82 degreed however if my home AC fails or something goes wrong that leaves me no safety net so have also considered kicking them on early at 78 degrees and hopefully keeping the tank under 80 all day. Again I am not a fan(ha) of noise and the tank is almost silent as it is. Curious on everyone's opinions. I will mostly be doing zoanthids ricordia and SPS
As with anything in this hobby stability is the object. If you keep your tank at 78 then have your fans come on at 79. They'll run less and produce noise less. I know you said you ordered fans but if it's not too late and your a DIY guy one suggestion would be to get a couple of small DC computer fans and a transformer plug. They are virtually silent and move a considerable amount of air. My sump is under my tank in my cabinet, which is enclosed front and back, I was getting heat and humidity build up so I installed a small computer fan and totally took care of the problem. It runs 24/7/365 and has never failed
1629830470137.jpeg

OP
OP
a.t.t.r

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with anything in this hobby stability is the object. If you keep your tank at 78 then have your fans come on at 79. They'll run less and produce noise less. I know you said you ordered fans but if it's not too late and your a DIY guy one suggestion would be to get a couple of small DC computer fans and a transformer plug. They are virtually silent and move a considerable amount of air. My sump is under my tank in my cabinet, which is enclosed front and back, I was getting heat and humidity build up so I installed a small computer fan and totally took care of the problem. It runs 24/7/365 and has never failed
1629830470137.jpeg
I do not have a sump so i essentially am over paying for a nice looking case for two computer fans... 100 bucks on a GHL fan which i already had to send back because one fan came in not spinnin..... Gonna have to wall mount whatever i go with.

Also I was just given a thermoelectric chiller/heater but i need to research it to see if it is titanium or aluminum heat exchanger. If it is save may set it as a failsafe if i can find the room for it.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
used to keep my system at 77-78, but since chiller croaked a while back, it's been hovering in at 78.5 to 80.9. I keep house at 78 while away so not much of an increase. i run a large PC fan (silent) right down into the overflow and it holds the temp fine. i have mine running off my apex (78 on 77 off), so basically 24/7 running all summer here.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back