What the heck is this?

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this fuzzy clam looking thing on my sand bed. Looks like a clam but it’s fuzzy and has a weird flat base to it. Should I keep it as a free cleanup crew or toss it? Thanks!
IMG_3660.jpeg
IMG_3658.jpeg
IMG_3659.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you can get closer up pics of it preferably in a container of tank water?

I have some ideas, but I'm not confident in any at the moment, and straight-on pics of the top, both sides, and the bottom could be helpful.

Also, when you say it's fuzzy, is it just the fuzz visible in the pics around the edges, or is the top fuzzy too and just laying flat instead of stick up?

OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks kinda similar to what I have in my tank. They've been in there for about a year I think?
I just assumed they were mussel's hairy cuisine.

IMG_20240526_220200.jpg
It’s the exact same thing I just pulled it out didn’t want to take the chances and I know from studying animals, is that anything that’s fuzzy, don’t touch!

OP
OP
C

Chicken_Biscuit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you can get closer up pics of it preferably in a container of tank water?

I have some ideas, but I'm not confident in any at the moment, and straight-on pics of the top, both sides, and the bottom could be helpful.

Also, when you say it's fuzzy, is it just the fuzz visible in the pics around the edges, or is the top fuzzy too and just laying flat instead of stick up?
The fuzziness is all over except for the bottom of it. I don’t have a camera that is capable of taking a picture of something that small.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fuzziness is all over except for the bottom of it. I don’t have a camera that is capable of taking a picture of something that small.
I'm thinking it may be a Horsemussel (taxonomic subfamily Modiolinae) or similar, but I can't say for sure.

Edit: Accidentally listed it as family Modiolinae - it's a subfamily (hence the "-nae" suffix).

Last edited:
Back