What things -can- be done fast in reefing?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are aware of the old tenet, nothing happens fast

but I see fast actions all the time here and safe outcomes, let’s see where we can bend the old rule and not be unethical:

1. cycling. Waiting 30 days for ammonia control isn’t needed. pretty much any bacteria you buy + tank dilution allows for rapid fast cycling / not waiting at all to start a reef. Just like data downloads have sped up, so has cycling.

(but the fish are being harmed says the crowd)

I think they’re harmed by crypto in a few months, but never nh3. Nh3- burned fish will not eat and swim normally in laser clear water, this is any fish-in cycle thread we can find for analysis and link. We don’t get to claim fish harm when every life process they display shows nh3 controlled vs not controlled just because we didn’t wait out a cycle chart.

cycling at all is now an option, I’d call that fast. Ike’s tank here, still running as of today, fastest start in reefing and the way of the future like it or not:

anemones don’t open, fish don’t swim normally, water doesn’t stay clear in an uncycled tank. Handling nh3 is easy with today’s bottle bac, cycling can now be done very very fast. And it is, daily, in every reef forum

waiting out the thirty days on a cycling chart after buying skip cycle bacteria like fritz or biospira still doesn’t help disease prep, ergo speed cycling isn’t causing disease issues to escalate.

People wanting the outcome Paul B gets without fallow and qt but they have all white rocks and new sand are whats causing disease, they’re skipping fallow and qt preps either by being told not to by reefs nothing like theirs whatsoever, or they don’t know initially about the option. Fish disease runs independent to cycling, nh3 control is easy.

when we have to run fast tank transfers due to broken tanks or leaks, this new rule of skipping all cycles comes in handy. It also came in handy for the last twenty years at reef forum conventions where nobody had an early 30 days to set up with a dead shrimp and wait

we are breaking speed rules for utilitarian reasons, it’s not just for the fun of rule breaking in general

it is easy to test for ammonia lowering in the initial setup to prove the start is ready after a water change when using dry rock and bottle bac. No guessing needed. Brief pre testing for the ability to lower an initial ammonia dose eliminates dead bottle bac risks etc (the old rules would have required near thirty days to clear nitrite too)

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#2 rehabbing wrecked invaded reefs

my friends from private message know: if it takes any longer than one day to fix your GHA + rinse out that filthy diaper sandbed, you are using a turtle-slow 1998 option which might not even be ready by Easter.

we have completely fixed about two hundred reef tanks from 100% invaded to 100% clean, overnite. Number two is tank fixes... the slow way is only required for large inaccessible tanks. We instantly repair invasions all day long routinely.

Whats a third action you’ve seen the hobby speed up vs slow down or are those the only two?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back