What time is chow time: How often do you feed your fish?

How often do you feed your fish?

• Multiple times a day

Votes: 388 50.5%
  • Daily

Votes: 312 40.6%
  • A few times a week

Votes: 60 7.8%
  • Weekly

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 0.9%

• Total voters

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 big feed every morning so that everyone gets some. Nori in the afternoon. Frozen once a week.

I used to feed smaller portions four times a day but the same fish ate it all and smaller fish were struggling.

I find that with a bigger single portion everyone gets at least something.

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen 8 am and about 6 pm every day . Total of about 8 to 10 cubes mix of mysis brine and home made. In addition the tank has an Avast Auto feeder that feeds a little Avast Reef Jerky every 1.5 hrs between 8 am and 8 pm for the Anthis and Pusiler Damsels . Also a sheet of Nori in the am

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Autofeeder in the am around 8 while lights are ramping up and everyone isn't awake yet(lets the more skittish fish eat). The autofeeder again at noon. Then I feed frozen around 5pm, and 90ml of live phyto.

In my autofeeder I use NLS pellets, TDO chromoboost, and NLS algae max. For frozen I feed a cube of PE calanus, a small chunk of LRS, and a small chunk of PE mysis.

I do not directly feed anything, but rather broadcast feed the entire tank(LARS reefing at its best).
How big is your tank? Mine is 100 gallons and I only do 30ml of live phyto and am not sure if that’s enough

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I first started in saltwater in the 80's I fed everyday sometimes twice a day or when company came over.
It was after a few years I started seeing a correlation with heavy feeding and algae growth..
So for a long while I slowed down to every other day. The fish remained healthy and had good color. Clowns spawned frequently. All was good.
Then I started getting into anthias and wrasses which according to research needed at least every day feedings. Some said multiple feedings a day, but I wasn't going back to that.
So now for the last 20 years or so I'm at once per day ( at 5 pm) and add nori 3 times a week.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1:00 pm: Frozen fish eggs

4:00 pm: Auto feeder TDO Chromaboost

8:00 pm: Frozen Mysis, Plankton, Krill, or LRS rotated daily

Random: Live baby brine, frozen rotifers

morganb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a day at around 5pm, a little earlier at weekends. Rotating each day from frozen to dry.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally feed prime reef and spirulina flakes a couple times a day. Occasionally I will feed New Life Spectrum 1mm sinking pellets plus the fish snatch them when I give some to LPS. I have Nori available all the time. Usually 2-3 full sheets folded up on a clip (lasts a few days) for my purple tang and 5 dwarf/pygmy angels. Interestingly enough my Melanurus and cleaner wrasse eat it too. Frozen occasionally but just got 3 resplendent Anthias that are a little pickier so going to get some more mysis and some oyster feast. Tank also gets live plankton once a week and it's loaded with pods. So much so my 8yo sixline wrasse seldom eats food and yet looks like a stuffed pig all the time.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed like clockwork. 10:30am 1/4 of a frozen cube in feeder tray. 5:00pm 1/2 tsp in the feeding tray. I don't even adjust the flow anymore.

C4ctus99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try and feed twice a day but I leave for work before the fish are up, so family members feed in the morning unless they forget.

Just now getting into the healthy diet world of clams and LRS. Have hikari marine pellets for herbivore and carnivore and mysis that I have been feeding till now

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? Mine is 100 gallons and I only do 30ml of live phyto and am not sure if that’s enough
80G cube with 30G sump. Roughly 85 total gallons. Just a tad over 1ml/g.

Thats not something I started right away. I have gradually gone up to that amount. I used to dose almost 2ml/g, but got sick of cleaning my glass daily.

Tuan Black

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 cube mysis 1 cube brine shrimp 2 cubes bloodworms. Turn pumps off and feed at 5:30 am and at 8:00pm also feed my Magnificent Sea Anemone 1 jumbo shrimp every 2 weeks.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would like to feed more but i leave at 5 am everyday and dont get home till after 5 and i dont want to use a auto feeder

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80G cube with 30G sump. Roughly 85 total gallons. Just a tad over 1ml/g.

Thats not something I started right away. I have gradually gone up to that amount. I used to dose almost 2ml/g, but got sick of cleaning my glass daily.
Should I ramp it up to 1ml/g? And should I do it slowly or does it matter?

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 3 times a day, my citron goby and flame tail blenny will swim together and hangout in the corner closest to my computer when they are hungry. It's adorable, they're fat and healthy and my nutrients aren't out of control.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen 8 am and about 6 pm every day . Total of about 8 to 10 cubes mix of mysis brine and home made. In addition the tank has an Avast Auto feeder that feeds a little Avast Reef Jerky every 1.5 hrs between 8 am and 8 pm for the Anthis and Pusiler Damsels . Also a sheet of Nori in the am
That is an absolutely insane amount of food for an 80 gallon tank.

Back