What time is chow time: How often do you feed your fish?

How often do you feed your fish?

• Multiple times a day

Votes: 388 50.5%
  • Daily

Votes: 312 40.6%
  • A few times a week

Votes: 60 7.8%
  • Weekly

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 0.9%

• Total voters

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daily in the mid/late morning. 1 cube mysis, and I cube omnivore frozen, and 1 cube carnivore mix. Every other day frozen cyclops or “coral gumbo”. I feed my larger polyped lps such as Micromussas and Bowers as well as my 2 Frogspawn some of it as well.

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 3 times a day, my citron goby and flame tail blenny will swim together and hangout in the corner closest to my computer when they are hungry. It's adorable, they're fat and healthy and my nutrients aren't out of control.
PXL_20230222_214628625.jpg

Had to take a pic to share. These 2 fatties expect 3 meals minimum and they know how to get my attention when they're hungry lol

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5pm daily, then I eat.
My tangs get a 1/4 sheet of nori in the am and then everyone eats at 5.

OMG, why didn't I think of that? I'm starting a new position at work and will have to go into the office full-time for a few weeks while I'm training. Been wondering how I was going to feed them twice a day. They all love the nori I put in there for the clown and tang, so I think that's what I'll do. That's why I love coming here, everyone does things a little differently and that's a tremendous help when others find themselves in similar situations.

On to my feeding routine.

My 120g reef I feed twice a day. A mixture of frozen Mysis Shrimp and Emerald Entree. Then a sheet of nori at some point during the day. I have a rbta that I feed on the same schedule as the lionfish below. She'll get some frozen squid on those days.

3 green chromis
2 clownfish
1 possum wrasse
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 yellow watchman goby
1 blue tang

My 55g Predator tank is a different story. I feed them frozen squid once a day. The lionfish gets fed live guppies or roseys every other day.
1 dragon wrasse
1 picasso trigger
1 fiji damsel
1 dwarf lionfish

aws2266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My auto feeder drops pellets in at 2 and 8 and I feed frozen at 6pm daily
As stated in my post earlier, I'm going to be going into the office full-time for a few weeks and looking at ways to get the fish fed while I'm gone. I have a couple of auto feeders from when we went on vacation last year. I like feeding my fish and didn't want to continue to buy pellets so I've not used them since. One of my options is to finally bite the bullet and use the feeder full-time. What kind of pellets are you using and what kind of fish do you have?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated in my post earlier, I'm going to be going into the office full-time for a few weeks and looking at ways to get the fish fed while I'm gone. I have a couple of auto feeders from when we went on vacation last year. I like feeding my fish and didn't want to continue to buy pellets so I've not used them since. One of my options is to finally bite the bullet and use the feeder full-time. What kind of pellets are you using and what kind of fish do you have?
I have not found a fish that will not eat TDO chromoboost. One of the best pellets on the market.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll never understand the logic of restricting food to an animal that snacks all day in the wild. And if you can't feed a couple times a day without getting high nitrate and phosphate, you've failed to incorporate adequate filtration.

Operation Philo Beddoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What time is chow time: How often do you feed your fish?

Some reef keepers feed their fish a lot and others feed sparingly. Sometimes the fish are feed often and other times the fish are feed less often. It has been said that fish are always grazing in the ocean and it has also been said that fish can go several days or more without food. In some cases the fish are intentionally fed heavily so that the extra food and fish waste will become food for the corals in the tank. Of course, filtration requirements need to be factored into this approach. So what time is chow time for your fish? How often do you add fish food to your tank? Please share your thoughts about fish feeding frequency in the comments.

EasyReefs_Feeding.jpeg

Photo by @Easyreefs
10 Tangs and a Goldflake Angel. 9am 1/2 sheet Nori and Rods Frozen. 2pm Rods again, 6pm Nori 1/2 sheet and Rods foods.
Double SK5000 filter rolls, biopellets, Refugium, massive Pentair UV. Nitrates down to 35 after a year with the 300 gallon tank. I feed small amounts like Victor of WWC recommended. Less food, more often. At least I’m trying to cut back. Corals awaiting NO3 reduction happily in frag tank.

Royal Gramma are the most underrated fish in my opinion, I have 3 in this pic and they are always in the water column. :)

585CCCEC-651C-4388-8D5E-AD1E3A8E5E3F.jpeg

Last edited:

Operation Philo Beddoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 3 turkey basters of (frozen premixed frozen foods, 3-4 shots of Selcon, half teaspoon of reef roids all mixed with RO water in a 1 liter bottle) two times a day once at 1 PM and at 8 PM
I had a buddy swore by using a ketchup bottle to squirt some in. I always meant to try it. Currently thawing frozen and feeding with chop sticks. Fish see a chop stick in my house and get ready for food :)

LOONEBIN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put nori in every morning at 6:30 for the tangs. Fish/corals are fed a mixture of different frozen foods soaked in Brightwell’s Garlic Power and Selcon every day around Noon. I have an auto feeder that drops in PE pellets twice a day in the afternoon and evening. Also, sometimes I throw in more pellets when I pass by the tank cause the fish follow me and guilt me into giving them more food.

sbbk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed pellets or flakes once per day. Nori ¼ sheet 2-3 times a week. One frozen cube, vary which type - cyclops, mysis, shrimp+algae once per week. Sometimes I'll add a small feeding when watching fish or showing off tank. As long as the shyest eater is eating I stick to this program. If not, I'll do a second frozen cube. I will feed coral 1/ week soon, not feeding them yet.

Tank is 125 gallons with about 8 fish plus coral. Doing reef for about 6 months so far.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back