What time is chow time: How often do you feed your fish?

How often do you feed your fish?

• Multiple times a day

Votes: 388 50.5%
  • Daily

Votes: 312 40.6%
  • A few times a week

Votes: 60 7.8%
  • Weekly

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 0.9%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Some reef keepers feed their fish a lot and others feed sparingly. Sometimes the fish are feed often and other times the fish are feed less often. It has been said that fish are always grazing in the ocean and it has also been said that fish can go several days or more without food. In some cases the fish are intentionally fed heavily so that the extra food and fish waste will become food for the corals in the tank. Of course, filtration requirements need to be factored into this approach. So what time is chow time for your fish? How often do you add fish food to your tank? Please share your thoughts about fish feeding frequency in the comments.

EasyReefs_Feeding.jpeg

Photo by @Easyreefs

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My tank gets 4 feedings via AFS auto feeder and one light frozen feeding late morning and big frozen feeding late evening

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry Foods - A combination of various makers pellets in different sizes, mixed with different types of flake foods, as well as coral powdered foods gets a tablespoon 3-8x a day.

Every 2 days we feed frozen which is about 40 cubes, and a 4x4 chunk of mysis.

Dave B

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry Foods - A combination of various makers pellets in different sizes, mixed with different types of flake foods, as well as coral powdered foods gets a tablespoon 3-8x a day.

Every 2 days we feed frozen which is about 40 cubes, and a 4x4 chunk of mysis.

Dave B

40 cubes?! Feeding the great barrier reef over there? Your fish must love you

Ken Roane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some reef keepers feed their fish a lot and others feed sparingly. Sometimes the fish are feed often and other times the fish are feed less often. It has been said that fish are always grazing in the ocean and it has also been said that fish can go several days or more without food. In some cases the fish are intentionally fed heavily so that the extra food and fish waste will become food for the corals in the tank. Of course, filtration requirements need to be factored into this approach. So what time is chow time for your fish? How often do you add fish food to your tank? Please share your thoughts about fish feeding frequency in the comments.

EasyReefs_Feeding.jpeg

Photo by @Easyreefs
I have 4 tanks and they all get fed at 6:00 dinner time before I eat. I would feel guilty if I ate first.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leave for work at 6:30 daily and it’s dark on my house reef, so I feed them after 5 when I come back from work. I don’t trust automatic feeder to use it daily. My fish look healthy though and 4 of them is 8-10 y/o, so I must’ve been doing something right.

Guy317

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto feed 2 times a day and when I get home from work a little frozen

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Autofeeder in the am around 8 while lights are ramping up and everyone isn't awake yet(lets the more skittish fish eat). The autofeeder again at noon. Then I feed frozen around 5pm, and 90ml of live phyto.

In my autofeeder I use NLS pellets, TDO chromoboost, and NLS algae max. For frozen I feed a cube of PE calanus, a small chunk of LRS, and a small chunk of PE mysis.

I do not directly feed anything, but rather broadcast feed the entire tank(LARS reefing at its best).

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a half sheet of red or green nori daily. Nls algae max pellets and ocean nutrition reef flakes one day then diy frozen mix the next day. Sometimes extra pellets or flakes if I’m bored watching the tank.

Reef2317

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three feeds a day for two clowns and a cuc, a very efficient nitrogen cycling process means im battling to increase nitrates.

MarsReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was feeding 3 times a day, but cut it down to 2 while I am fighting hair algae. Pellets on an autofeeder mid day and then frozen Reef Frenzy at night around 8.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back