What to add and how long should I wait?

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be moving my FOWLR 29 gal cube ( might switch to 47 gal colum instead) to my new apartment soon. Haven’t had my tank with me since Harvey so I’m getting excited to get it back. At this point I have lost my coral banded shrimp, my watchman goby, as well as my mandarin. I’m down to my pair of clown fish, peppermint shrimp, a pistol shrimp, and two brittle stars. Also have a few turbo snails and several hermits. I’m planning on adding more sand when I set it up here but I’m going to use the water from the tank and will top off with fresh made water if needed. My first question is, how long should I wait after setting it up here to start adding fish? I want another mandarin ( starting a pop culture as well as a brine shrimp hatchery) and I’m going to splurge on a aquacultured one. What other fish could I add and would it be ok to add another coral banded shrimp? I already tried a BTA and it lasted three days so I’m sticking to live rock only. I love unusual fish and I don’t mind high maintenance fish. I enjoy work on my tank and watching my fish thrive. Any suggestions would be great. Oh I would like another goby busy for my pistol shrimp since his first buddy died.
Thanks

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank was already set up and you are using the same water, you should be ok to add fish after a week or two. I would let it cycle through. What kind of goby are you looking at? There are some beautiful wrasse that do not get to large for that tank. Fairy wrasse are the most ideal as they stay fairly small.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how long cycle takes, or if you have much of one at all

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank was already set up and you are using the same water, you should be ok to add fish after a week or two. I would let it cycle through. What kind of goby are you looking at? There are some beautiful wrasse that do not get to large for that tank. Fairy wrasse are the most ideal as they stay fairly small.
I was thinking of another watchman goby. Want to make sure that I don’t add another pod rayerbecause I’m wanting to grow my pod population in my tank. My tank was set up around my mandarin so I need to make sure all fish are compatible.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how long cycle takes, or if you have much of one at all
I was going to cap off my sand with new live sand and add another bottle of live bacteria. When I move it before I didn’t take out the sand and I used all of the old water. Problem this move is that I’m now on the 3 rd floor, with no elavator and I’m having trouble finding help moving. Heck I’m still waiting to find someone to help me move living room furniture. lol.

Gator0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of another watchman goby. Want to make sure that I don’t add another pod rayerbecause I’m wanting to grow my pod population in my tank. My tank was set up around my mandarin so I need to make sure all fish are compatible.
Wrasse eat a lot of pods. I honestly do not know of a fish that won't eat them.

OP
OP
Gaines69

Gaines69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen my clowns eat them( at least no the female. I had her for awhile before I got the male). I would like some fish that swim around out in the open though. Lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back