What to do about lighting

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my current build in process is for a standard 90gal with corner overflow setup. Tank is built into cabinetry with canopy. My plans were to use a hybrid t5/led such as the aquaticlife fixture to pair with my dual kessil 360x I already have.

So after measured the inside of the canopy I realized I only have 47 inches to work with so a 48inch fixture wont fit! Cant believe I overlooked that in the build.

So will a 36inch 4 bulb t5ho and 2 kessil 360x be enough for a mixed reef with some sps? The fixtures will probably be minutes 8-10 inches above water surface.
Picture for reference
20200923_140503.jpg
20200923_140422.jpg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will be fine, you could also add another led and two way on the outsides and one in the middle.

Otherwise:

The higher you can get the light the better off as well, 10" is pretty low. But low light corals on the outside will be easy :)

OR:

Modify the cabinet to make it fit. Would just require some cuts in the wood work.

dubaireefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t you u do some changes to the stand
If not put all ur sps where u get about 350 par and u could put less light demanding corals where there is less light

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will be fine, you could also add another led and two way on the outsides and one in the middle.

Otherwise:

The higher you can get the light the better off as well, 10" is pretty low. But low light corals on the outside will be easy :)

OR:

Modify the cabinet to make it fit. Would just require some cuts in the wood work.
So the tank has a center brace so i never though of using 3 puck lights. I did thunk to maybe just buy reefbreeders but really want some t5.
I have the height I can go up to 14 or 15 inch I believe. I'm thinking a 36inch fixture with the 2 kessils will allow me to grow whatever I want in the center 36 inchs of the tank with low light corals on the outer 6 inches just fine as well.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank has a center brace so i never though of using 3 puck lights. I did thunk to maybe just buy reefbreeders but really want some t5.
I have the height I can go up to 14 or 15 inch I believe. I'm thinking a 36inch fixture with the 2 kessils will allow me to grow whatever I want in the center 36 inchs of the tank with low light corals on the outer 6 inches just fine as well.

Yes you are correct

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'll try that then and rent a par meter. I just dont want to waste the money on a 36 inch fixture if itll be a waste that I end up not using. I could always add more LEDs easily if needed

Is there any benefit to buying the new aquaticlife dx series vs the older one? I don't have a controller so itd be all 4 bulbs on full blast unless I get one. the old fixture would be 2 bulbs on 2 timers to control.
Being 36inch on a 48inch tank maybe 4 at 100% isnt a bad thing and I can just use the kessil controller for ramp up and down with the 4 bulbs on 100% for 8 hours in the middle?

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I’m doing. I have a 90 corner overflow and my canopy wouldn’t fit a 48” hybrid fixture either. I got the 36” and will be running the T5 at 100% for six hours and my Radions with a 2 hour ramp and 8 hour peak for 12 hours total. Then I’ll get a PAR meter and tune the LEDs based on the maximum PAR when the T5 are on.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk reef supply did a good video for the kessil 360x's on you tube. I think they had 8 inches off the water due to lens angle. As kessil has a very wide lens. You can also look at there par numbers to decide if you need more fixtures. if your doing some well placed acro's then your probably good with 2.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cut the canopy open on the side and install a hinged door on the side. This will give you that extra 1 inch

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back