what to do next for cycling

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tested my tank this evening. 1st I dosed the ammonia to 2 ppm this morning before I left for the dungeon. and for got to test NO2 and NO3. but this evening my readings are:
PH - 8 ppm
ammonia - 0
NO2 -5 ppm
NO3 -10 ppm.
I'm not going to dose with ammonia tomorrow at all or the rest of tonight. to see where we are at come this time tomorrow and Saturday morning before I leave on NO2 and NO3. I'm not to worried about stalling the whole process at this point. since i'm buying a fish this weekend or 2. but no more. will make another post. haeto v
You are pretty much at the same stage I am. For me nitrite has been sitting between 2 and 5 for a couple weeks now

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are pretty much at the same stage I am. For me nitrite has been sitting between 2 and 5 for a couple weeks now
i'm going to take some water to get it verified to my local Petco. I only have 2 choices in town. I want to have it verified. i'm using API test kit. so I don't take to much stock in API. plus some times it's hard to disquish the difference of colors.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i'm going to take some water to get it verified to my local Petco. I only have 2 choices in town. I want to have it verified. i'm using API test kit. so I don't take to much stock in API. plus some times it's hard to disquish the difference of colors.
Sure is. I really like the seachem. It does nitrite and nitrate and much easier to differentiate between shades of color

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no change in those gonna give it till tomorrow to see if the NO2 and NO3 levels drop.
I'm finding it is taking much longer for the nitrite to drop than it did for the ammonia. I believe it takes longer to populate the nitrite eating bacteria compared to those that process the ammonia. Think I read that somewhere...lol. too much reading hard to keep track

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put together a spread sheet of fish That I might get. of course not all will be going in to my tank. but it gives me a good idea on what I might want or get.

Attachments

• fish.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 88
OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finding it is taking much longer for the nitrite to drop than it did for the ammonia. I believe it takes longer to populate the nitrite eating bacteria compared to those that process the ammonia. Think I read that somewhere...lol. too much reading hard to keep track
Have you cleaned your aquarium at all. I just did before I tested it. and wow my Nitrate level just went up drastically. but I'm sure that will go down in a couple of hours once everything has settled. I just cleaned the glass. it was really bad.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you cleaned your aquarium at all. I just did before I tested it. and wow my Nitrate level just went up drastically. but I'm sure that will go down in a couple of hours once everything has settled.
Just the glass

I never have experienced nitrates just going away unless you had some sort of well established anaerobic bacteria populated media. Will be interested to see what you find.

I'm just impatiently awaiting the nitrites yo fall. Taking forever

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the glass

I never have experienced nitrates just going away unless you had some sort of well established anaerobic bacteria populated media. Will be interested to see what you find.

I'm just impatiently awaiting the nitrites yo fall. Taking forever
are you running active carbon?

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a tiny little bit of seagel I had leftover. Probably 1/2 a cup or less. Threw it in my bubble trap since my rabj was cloudy for days but then realized that was from my sand lol
I just threw some in to my hob filter. I did the glass and tested my nitrates after that. it jumped to 160 PPM. it should lower it over time here. gonna retest it before I go to bed.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was dosing pure ammonia. Stopped but dosed again the other night to see results. Dropped to 0 in 24 hours. Still dosing MB7 daily as well
i'm not using mb7 yet. going all natural For now. went looking at fish this evening and some what pricey but that's alright. I don't plan on going over board at once. plus it's best to go slow.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm not using mb7 yet. going all natural For now. went looking at fish this evening and some what pricey but that's alright. I don't plan on going over board at once. plus it's best to go slow.
just retested NO3 again. it's more like 20. everything is still settling down in the tank. will do it again 1 more time at 9:50. before going to bed. 5:30 rolls around fast.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree there

Will likely start with a pair of clowns just haven't decided which. I really like the davinci but not sure as this is my first go

Sounds silly to say after just selling over $1000 in discus to start my reef build lol

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just retested NO3 again. it's more like 20. everything is still settling down in the tank. will do it again 1 more time at 9:50. before going to bed. 5:30 rolls around fast.
My nitrate peaked at 20 as well. Po4 .8-1

I think bleach curing the rock made a big difference

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just power washed the dry rock and it was pure white when I put it in. i'll post a pic on what they look like now. they have some brown to them. I still am deciding if I should get a some fish this weekend or just wait. If I knew if the nitrites and nitrates would go down here soon then I would pull the trigger on 2 clowns and a puffer. my local Petco has a puffer 8 inches long and 800 for it. crazy. then puffer will only get 5 inches long.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back