OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect your 80ppm readings are mite accurate than the previous 5ppm readings you've been posting. If your done ghost feeding and dosing ammonia, then you could do a 50-75% water change, otherwise I'd wait. I use the salifert nitrate treat kit and my reasons seem to always ne consistent.
once I do the 50% water change in I good to add fish at that point?or wait to see if I have nitrates that go up again a few days after that

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect your 80ppm readings are mite accurate than the previous 5ppm readings you've been posting. If your done ghost feeding and dosing ammonia, then you could do a 50-75% water change, otherwise I'd wait. I use the salifert nitrate treat kit and my reasons seem to always ne consistent.
I retested this morning 3 times Can't tell if its 40 or 80 ppm. going to do a 75 % water change. about 36 g. might seem a little less. but I only put fifty gallons in there. so I should be good.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does purple helix even work, i just googled it to see what it is. Doesn't it take awhile to get your rocks and whatnot to go purple?
I can see purple specs on my rock and i had bleached it all a month prior to my build. I am starting to get green spots now also but not sure if that's green coraline or some other type of algae

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done any water changes yet?
Nope just waiting things out trying my best to be patient. All I do is clean the glass occasionally

Went through a pretty good diatom bloom. That is over with and going away on its own.

One thing I notice is that if I dose ammonia, ammonia drops quickly but nitrite rises but nitrate doesn't rise much.

It's pretty evident that the bacteria needed to process the ammonia are plentiful but those that are needed to convert the nitrite to nitrate are slowly populating

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope just waiting things out trying my best to be patient. All I do is clean the glass occasionally

Went through a pretty good diatom bloom. That is over with and going away on its own.

One thing I notice is that if I dose ammonia, ammonia drops quickly but nitrite rises but nitrate doesn't rise much.

It's pretty evident that the bacteria needed to process the ammonia are plentiful but those that are needed to convert the nitrite to nitrate are slowly populating
I talked to my LFS. since mine is really high they recommended me to do a water change on it. but I think I'm going to wait. this morning my Nitrite level was still 5 ppm and nitrate is up to 80 ppm. yesterday NO3 was up to 160. I cleaned my filters and this morning NO3 dropped to 80. has yours got that high for NO3?

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to my LFS. since mine is really high they recommended me to do a water change on it. but I think I'm going to wait. this morning my Nitrite level was still 5 ppm and nitrate is up to 80 ppm. yesterday NO3 was up to 160. I cleaned my filters and this morning NO3 dropped to 80. has yours got that high for NO3?
My nitrate is at 20

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what test kit are you using? I'm looking into either red sea or Salifert, I'm using API right now. but need to switch. to many false readings.
Been using the api just for the cycle. Need to pull out my seachem test but it's almost empty. I really like the seachem test. Does nitrite and nitrate and much easier to distinguish between shades. Will test with seachem tonight to verify

I had the red sea pro for mag,cal,alk

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using the api just for the cycle. Need to pull out my seachem test but it's almost empty. I really like the seachem test. Does nitrite and nitrate and much easier to distinguish between shades. Will test with seachem tonight to verify

I had the red sea pro for mag,cal,alk
I haven't tested for mag, cal and Alk yet. just trying to get through the cycle first.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tested for mag, cal and Alk yet. just trying to get through the cycle first.
I was waiting also but figured it would be good to know as well as get used to the tests. Took a few times to get used to the red sea tests.

Also found out my salinity was low from skimming too much trying to get my skimmer tuned

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was waiting also but figured it would be good to know as well as get used to the tests. Took a few times to get used to the red sea tests.

Also found out my salinity was low from skimming too much trying to get my skimmer tuned
I just realized that maybe I have been getting false readings on my nitrate test is because I don't shake the bottle before I test.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized that maybe I have been getting false readings on my nitrate test is because I don't shake the bottle before I test.
For sure api is notorious for false reads due to that. You have to follow the directions to a t. That's why I like the seachem it's one drop of liquid for the nitrite test then you add one scoop of powder for nitrate and that's it. No shaking. Very simple

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure api is notorious for false reads due to that. You have to follow the directions to a t. That's why I like the seachem it's one drop of liquid for the nitrite test then you add one scoop of powder for nitrate and that's it. No shaking. Very simple
I just got back with my LFS. same readings as I got. they recommended that I do a rather large wc. NO3 off the charts at 160 ppm. so doing a water change of 75% like they recommended.

OP
OP
sergifed91

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
changing my water tonight. Made the mistake stirring up the sand. Still reading 160+ppm but gonna wait till the sand settles and then get another reading.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back