What to do when it all goes wrong: Do you have a plan for emergencies?

Do you have a plan for emergencies?

• I have a written plan for emergencies.

Votes: 11 3.5%
  • It is not written, but I have a plan in mind for emergencies.

Votes: 117 37.5%
  • I don’t have a plan, but I’m ready to deal with whatever happens.

Votes: 97 31.1%
  • I’m really not sure, but I will do my best.

Votes: 73 23.4%
  • I have no idea what to do in the case of an emergency.

Votes: 11 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.0%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The heater quit in the winter, temperature is rising in the summer, power outage, plumbing leak, tank leak, storm coming, sick fish – this is just a small list of all the things that can go wrong in a reef tank. While you can’t be prepared for everything, if you can be prepared for at least 80% of the things that are thrown at you, then you are far better off to react to the remaining issues. Do you have a plan for emergencies? Is it written down, kept in your head, or are you just planning to react when the time comes? If you don’t have any plan and aren’t sure, then you can let us know that too. Please share your thoughts about planning for reef tank emergencies as well as any tips or experience.

DALL·E_WaterFloor.png

Photo by DALL-E

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsBanner.png
"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities" @Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a plan which includes ack up major equipment such as return pump, heater, generator, medications, spare tank and mixing station to fill that tank immediately if needed.

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have spares for all critical equipment. Return pump, heaters, skimmer. In case of a DT leak I'll move all livestock to the QT.

I'm glad we don't get power outages. I can't remember a single second without power for the last 20 years or so. So I don't take that into consideration at all.

Last edited:

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a backup UPS for power outages (large server grade UPS) that can run my entire tank and salt mixing station for ~6 hours based on my calculated power draw. If I reduce that to just the tank return and flow pumps it's much, much more than that. I also have a backup generator if that proves to not be enough. I also keep enough water on-hand for a 100% water change.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With saltwater aquariums, it is a matter of when, not if, something bad will happen. (Knock on wood)
Water, electricity, and gravity are all forces we can only control for so long. Having some design based failure plans are always helpful.

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have written SOP's for every scenario because that would be crazy but I do have:
Extra heaters
Dual return pumps plumbed in a way that each can power my manifold or UV depending on which valves are open and closed
60 gallons of saltwater always on hand
60 gallons of RODI water always on hand
Extra EB832
20 kw backup generator
Extra MP40 wet sides
Extra dosing pump heads and tubing
Polyfilter/Cuprisorb/carbon
Extra RODI canisters and media

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The heater quit in the winter, temperature is rising in the summer, power outage, plumbing leak, tank leak, storm coming, sick fish – this is just a small list of all the things that can go wrong in a reef tank. While you can’t be prepared for everything, if you can be prepared for at least 80% of the things that are thrown at you, then you are far better off to react to the remaining issues. Do you have a plan for emergencies? Is it written down, kept in your head, or are you just planning to react when the time comes? If you don’t have any plan and aren’t sure, then you can let us know that too. Please share your thoughts about planning for reef tank emergencies as well as any tips or experience.

DALL·E_WaterFloor.png

Photo by DALL-E

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsBanner.png
"Our mission is to help save the reefs by providing the highest quality live reef foods for every aquarium - from small biocubes to mid-sized reef aquariums, to giant aquaculture facilities" @Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
It is a full time job keeping the bathtub up to temp in the winter.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I am afraid of everytime I think about taking a vacation away from home.
Yea I was freaking out and having an anxiety attack for half an hour. Thing is I got a generator at home but someone gotta start it and plug it in. Tanksitter was awesome though, raced straight over and by the time he was there power was back on. Only lost power for 3 hours and luckily it is winter in Australia.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is nearly hurricane season and I need BRStv to revisit that battery backup test. Tech has advanced way too far since then and I really feel like the ideas that they pushed might not be the same anymore. Who do I have to ping to get this noticed? ;)

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not really had any real disasters I can think of. Well my first tank, a 55g AGA, snapped the center support and the tank bulged out like a balloon but never broke. Dumped some water and ran out and bought a 90g. Of course, I've had the usual sort of things like heaters or pumps dying.

As far as other stuff there's always something to be dealt with and I usually have plenty of salt, RO water, drugs, chemicals, tools, generator, spare parts and spare equipment etc. to deal with pretty much any situation. I'm probably more reactionary than a planner but I know I have the resources/tools to resolve on my feet. One real nice thing to always have around is a large shop vac for the occasional spills that are usually my fault or to clean up the stand PVC liner when the skimmer occasionally blows up (usually from something I did).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back