What to do with a dead Tuxedo Urchin?

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I recently added a tuxedo urchin to the tank and it was doing well for a couple of days but this morning seemed to have died. I don't see spines (pic) and one of my shirmp was picking at it which I would expect would cause some reaction.
urchin.jpg

My params have been stable with the exception of a salinity spike I dealt with the other week... well before I introduced the urchin.
DatePH/HRPHSalinityCalcium (Ca2+)kHPhosphateAmmoniaNitrate
10/19/238.21.02840070.250.002.00

NB: I know the phosphate is not accurate, I'm using an API kit which is garbage but the phosphate never goes above what the kit would identify as 1.00ppm.

I just want to confirm that it is infact dead and if so, should I remove it or let the CUC clean it out and keep the exoskeleton in there?

Thanks!

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I recently added a tuxedo urchin to the tank and it was doing well for a couple of days but this morning seemed to have died. I don't see spines (pic) and one of my shirmp was picking at it which I would expect would cause some reaction.
urchin.jpg

My params have been stable with the exception of a salinity spike I dealt with the other week... well before I introduced the urchin.

I just want to confirm that it is infact dead and if so, should I remove it or let the CUC clean it out and keep the exoskeleton in there?

Thanks!
Definitely dead, you could let the CUC eat it but there is alot of nutrients inside it, and if your tank is small, it might cause a nitrate/phosphate spike.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWackyWiz

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely dead, you could let the CUC eat it but there is alot of nutrients inside it, and if your tank is small, it might cause a nitrate/phosphate spike.
it's 20g, I've also got a tail spot blenny and three thread fin cardinals in there. I think I'll increase the water changes while the CUC deals with it because I do like the natural look.

Upvote 1

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ideally you remove dead fish and inverts as soon as you notice them as they essentially become nutrient batteries and will interrupt the stability we're all working to obtain.
Nothing wrong with cleaning it up a little and returning it to the tank as decor after. you just don't want the meaty bits in there if possible.

Upvote 0

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's 20g, I've also got a tail spot blenny and three thread fin cardinals in there. I think I'll increase the water changes while the CUC deals with it because I do like the natural look.
Could always use a pipette or tweezers to remove any meaty bits and return it to the tank, you can definitely keep the shell, however the insides will cause a spike

Upvote 0

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

urchin.jpg

NB: I know the phosphate is not accurate, I'm using an API kit which is garbage but the phosphate never goes above what the kit would identify as 1.00ppm.

Thanks!
Weird that it died so quickly, any thoughts on why this happened

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWackyWiz

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird that it died so quickly, any thoughts on why this happened
The only thing I can thing is I scraped a ton of hair algae off the other day which temporarily made the water pretty dirty. I did a 50% water change immediately after I was done scraping but maybe it just got overwhelmed?

The weird thing is I've had tuxedos in the past that were pretty much bullet proof so it could just be it was already sick or something.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheWackyWiz

TheWackyWiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could always use a pipette or tweezers to remove any meaty bits and return it to the tank, you can definitely keep the shell, however the insides will cause a spike
Looks like the peppermint/sexy shrimps beat me too it. It's completely empty on the inside. I'll still be monitoring params and doing more frequent water changes for the next little bit just to be safe.

Upvote 0

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tux is pretty indestructible. I've done water changes and realized after the water drained he was at the top rim. but my water change takes about a minute. Top in a 1000gph pump to siphon out then drop in the bucket to put back in.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back